Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Colasaurus   AshleyShadows   Bobski   Die  
 Member  Message

Colasaurus
View Profile

Basilisk care difficulty?

Can anyone give any quick info on the difficulty of owning a Basilisk? I really would like to get one?

I do currently own a full grown male iguana (i’ve owned him for 8 years) , so I have experience in caring for advanced reptiles.

Thanks,

04/20/09  10:37pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: Colasaurus   In reference to Message Id: 1989698

I’d say that if you can handle an iguana, you’re capable of handling a basilisk...at least as far as the care goes. Just make sure you’re ready for the temperament. They’re not animals that like to be handled and are generally considered "look but don’t touch" pets. I handle mine as much as possible, but he hates it.

The diet will of course be different since basilisks need tons of protein. Crickets and meal worms are a must. But try to start on veggies ASAP when you get one.

04/22/09  11:29am

Bobski
View Profile

I just purchased two small brown basilisks. I have adult water dragons and horned mountain dragons. There is a huge difference. They are very nervous and jumpy, as soon as you start opening the lid they are bouncing off the walls. They love to climb, but make sure what ever you do don’t give them an opportunity to run up something and jump out of the enclosure because they will. One of the two I have is an escape artist and has been chased several times, the last time he launch himself out he broke his tail.

04/28/09  07:49pm

Die
View Profile

i would not recommend one b/c they r really aggressive.... you may get one like i have where you can pick it up but you have to be careful they like to jump and some even like to be put in a bathtub w/ warm water and they will swim around.... mine eats mice, crickets, meal worms, carrots, cucumbers, and bananas....and they need a fair sized cage my cage takes up a good portion of my room... when i got him he was in a 50 gal. long tank and had nose rote and calcium deficiency and about 4 inches of his tail was hanging off... then i took him outside and some ppl came to see what i had and when they came near he want to bite them but bit off his toe and bit it off so u have to really be careful and i really would not recommend getting one.. they r a really big handful and i got to the point and i hate to say this put i was sorry i got him but now we worked out our differences and we get along he has his days but most basilisk don’t like ppl

04/30/09  04:22pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area