Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Skfrk101   AshleyShadows   Skfrk101   AshleyShadows   Die   Aleck   Draconthegumball   Katie-REpTiLovEr   AnoleQueeeeen  
 Member  Message

Skfrk101
View Profile

Basilisks vs. Beardies

How do you guys think that a Basilisk compares to a bearded dragon, (mainly temperament). This would be my first lizard like this so i want some feed back because I’ve heard a lot of good things about both species. I’ve done a lot of research on both and i just cant decide which to go with; the popular dragon, or the rare basilisk. I have had a milk snake, a ball python, and a chameleon as pets, ( my milk snake died after 8 years so this lizard would replace it).

Thanks for your help.

04/20/09  05:53pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: Skfrk101   In reference to Message Id: 1989510

Basilisks vs. Beardies

I would definitely suggest a Bearded dragon over the basilisk, at least if you’re going off of temperament. Beardies are known to be great pets, and are often the choice of beginners. Clearly you’re a good reptile keeper if you’ve managed a chameleon, but basilisks are on the other end of the "nice" spectrum.

I love my basilisk, but I don’t think the feeling is mutual. I can hold him because I force it, but he makes it clear that he doesn’t want to be there. Beardies have had a lot more time in the pet industry, so a good temperament has certainly been bred into them. I can’t say I’ve ever met a mean one.

Also, if you’re really replacing the milk snake, enclosure and all, a Beardie makes more sense. They need longer, lower terrariums while basilisks need sufficient space to climb.

All that being said, don’t give up on ever getting a basilisk. They’re a challenge as an "expert level" lizard, but I’ve found it very rewarding keeping them.

04/20/09  08:30pm

Skfrk101
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1989622

Basilisks vs. Beardies

I would be replacing the cage and everything so i realize that i will need new supplies no matter what, (it’s all dated anyways). I was just at a reptile expo and the basilisks that i held seemed very calm. On a different note, how does a water dragon compare to a basilisk? Perhaps it was a water dragon that i held at the expo?

04/21/09  03:21pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: Skfrk101   In reference to Message Id: 1990103

Basilisks vs. Beardies

My basilisk acts very calm when outside of his element. Every time I take him to the vet, he sits still in my hands. So that could have been it.

But of course it could have been a Chinese water dragon too. They’re known to be far more calm and friendly. The care for the two species is essentially the same.

04/22/09  11:34am

Die
View Profile

Message To: Skfrk101   In reference to Message Id: 1989510

Basilisks vs. Beardies

if i were you i would choose the beardie... i have had my green basilisk for about 3 years... he loves when i take him out of his cage but he hates other ppl.... i went away and asked my dad to take care of him and he went after my dad... i take him w/ me when i go to get him food so he can get used to ppl he still has his moments but most of the time he is really sweet as long as he is touching me... my lil cousin that is about 5 pets him but only if i am holding him b/c if i am not he will bite ne one....so on that note i recommends the beardies

04/30/09  04:30pm

Aleck
View Profile

Message To: Die   In reference to Message Id: 1995740

Basilisks vs. Beardies

just choose a uromatsyx, they are the kings for being the most friendliest

05/02/09  10:00pm

Draconthegumball
View Profile

Message To: Aleck   In reference to Message Id: 1997284

Basilisks vs. Beardies

I suggest getting the bearded dragon. Basilisks are a little aggressive.

05/28/11  06:15pm

Katie-REpTiLovEr
View Profile

Message To: Draconthegumball   In reference to Message Id: 2221467

Basilisks vs. Beardies

Beardies always win with me over temperment.

07/07/11  02:11pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Katie-REpTiLovEr   In reference to Message Id: 2227924

Basilisks vs. Beardies

I definantly suggest a Bearded Dragon. They are VERY calm and love to be handled and are really sweet pets(:

07/17/11  08:32pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area