Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

OmeletS!   AshleyShadows   OmeletS!   AshleyShadows   OmeletS!  
 Member  Message

OmeletS!
View Profile

Brown Basilisk cage size

Ok so my breeder just popped out a clutch of brown bassies Ive done a considerable amount of research and I just recently finished a viv. (3 ft long, 1.5 foot deep, 4 foot tall) and I’ve heard 55 gallon minimum its about 130 gallons or so. I just want re assurance that will be ok. Keeping in mind that the basilisk can go outside a lot (getting a screen cage for outdoors also, in summer). Thanks again -Paul PS: Outdoor cage will be relatively large.

04/02/09  03:35pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: OmeletS!   In reference to Message Id: 1979036

Brown Basilisk cage size

That cage size is wonderful. And you could definitely have multiple females (about 3) and a male in there. Of course make sure you have sufficient heat and water at all levels as the basilisks may find a favorite spot to stay rather than moving all about. You’ll also need to be sure that you can keep the humidity up. In a cage that big, it’ll be hard. Live plants, lots of water, and regular misting (or a mist system) will help.

04/02/09  03:47pm

OmeletS!
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1979041

Brown Basilisk cage size

Hey thanks for the quick reply! Ya for the humidity I put wet towels on the screen and a big water dish. :D Im using a mega ray for Uvb and maybe an additional heat bulb just incase its not warm enough. Im thinking in terms of plants maybe a ficus? thanks for the feed back the outdoor cage might be the big 3 foot by 3 foot by 6 foot screen cages. still undecided. Thanks!

04/02/09  05:16pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: OmeletS!   In reference to Message Id: 1979087

Brown Basilisk cage size

You’re welcome!

Now on that ficus, were you talking real or fake? If fake, that’s great. If real, I’d suggest going with something else. Basilisks are really flighty and run around a lot. So they tend to really tear up real plants. The plants I were told that were hearty enough were dracaneas, philodendrons, and pothos vines.

04/02/09  07:04pm

OmeletS!
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1979137

Brown Basilisk cage size

OH well we have a dracanea so that will work too. haha the cage will be covered in plants mainly fake exept the one live. I bought a ton of vines and stuff that will work nicely :D thanks again

04/02/09  07:48pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area