Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Emily33   AshleyShadows   Reptileloversnake2   Emily33   Reptileloversnake2   AshleyShadows   Kingmilo  
 Member  Message

Emily33
View Profile

A new lizard

The only lizards i have ever had are anoles
I am looking into getting a different type.

So i was wondering what everyone thought of basilisks. How hard are they to maintain? what do they eat? ect. Also i was wondering how big they may get in size. thanks!

03/30/09  06:41pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: Emily33   In reference to Message Id: 1977459

A new lizard

I keep a pair of greens. They’re considered "expert level" lizards as they require a lot of space and aren’t very friendly. Personally, I don’t consider myself an "expert", but mine are doing well.

If you want a basilisk, here’s what you’ll need:

*A LARGE vivarium. I would say no smaller than 50 gallon for one, and it needs to be taller as they’re arboreal. I have two in a 94 gallon.
*UVA and UVB lighting. This requires a regular UVA bulb and a long fluorescent UVB bulb (not a coil bulb). You can also get a single bulb that has both, but that’ll run you about $80.
*Lots of climbing branches and vines (synthetic). You can have a few live plants, but the basilisks are flighty lizards and they tear them up.
*A big water dish for basking and swimming.
*Some way to keep the humidity high. Moss, water, and lost of mist will help. You can hand mist or buy an automatic for about $50.
*Tons of food. These guys eat a lot - crickets, mealworms, veggies (collard and mustard greens, carrots, etc). The crickets and worms need to be gut loaded too with calcium and other minerals and vitamins.

For the most part, they hate human contact. Mine were captured in Nicaragua, and they’re not very forgiving for it. My male is very mean, despite my efforts to tame him, and loves to bite. My female is far more docile. But overall, I get a lot of enjoyment out them. Once you get past that huge initial cost, it’s really not so bad...especially if you breed your own food. And also, these lizards grow to nearly 3 feet (of course, most of that is tail).

If you’re looking for an "easier" lizard, I’d go with a bearded dragon or a leopard gecko.

03/30/09  09:09pm

Reptileloversnake2
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1977544

A new lizard

I really wouldn’t get one. They are "expert" level. Get a beardie or leo. Then maybe a basilisk.

03/31/09  07:09am

Emily33
View Profile

Message To: Reptileloversnake2   In reference to Message Id: 1977705

A new lizard

ok i was thinking about an easier lizard, the last thing i want to do is get a lizard that needs a lot of care and not be able to handle it

03/31/09  07:06pm

Reptileloversnake2
View Profile

Message To: Emily33   In reference to Message Id: 1978077

A new lizard

Thats good. :) A choice would be a blue tongued skink or bearded dragon if you are trying to find a little more advanced but calm when handled species.

04/01/09  02:30am

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: Reptileloversnake2   In reference to Message Id: 1978252

A new lizard

Way to repeat what I said, dude.

04/02/09  07:04pm

Kingmilo
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1977544

A new lizard

"expert level" indeed my teachers take not good care of it its under a fish tank light in a 10gl, and has real plants a stick and water :S thats itt, and they feed not alot of cricets ! i convinced them to l;et her eat 5 a day cheep B******* sorry for the language im so mad thuogh they need to take better care I can’t do it alone im only there every day about 3 minutes :S of my 5 going to another class( Sigh)
I dont think a bailisk is the best choice try a bearded dragon :)

04/07/09  11:09am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area