Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

AshleyShadows   AshleyShadows   Mattcsw   AshleyShadows   Mattcsw   AshleyShadows   Mattcsw   AshleyShadows   AshleyShadows   Mattcsw   Basilisk123  
 Member  Message

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Introduction and Feeding Question

I have 2 baby green basilisks which are approximately 2 months old. I’ve been researching a lot, but I’ve been struggling to find a good answer to my question:

How much should I be feeding them?

I buy small crickets for them which I gut load with calcium-enriched cricket food and water substitute. Before I feed them, I dust the crickets with a vitamin/calcium powder. I generally try to feed them about 6 crickets a day each, but I don’t know if it’s too much or too little. I certainly don’t want to over or under feed them.

Also, they have some freeze-dried mealworms which are coated with the powder available, but they rarely touch them. Fruits and veggies have been offered, but they seem uninterested.

I’d really appreciate an answer. I just want to do what’s best for my little guys.

I’ll add pictures of them and their custom 94 gallon enclosure soon!

01/27/09  09:42pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1941214

Here are my little ones, tentatively named Cain and Abel (as they are Jesus Christ lizards) until I know their genders.

This one is Cain. He/she is just a slight bit bigger than Abel, and also does a throat-enlarging move similar to that of anoles.

Here’s their 94 gallon custom enclosure made by my dad and I. The interior height extends down past that bottom black "drawer". There’s also a large pool of water down there for them, but I really don’t see them expore all that much. They tend to stick to the top level.

The whole thing is equipped with a heat lamp that’s on 24 hours a day and a UVA basking lamp that’s on for 12 hours of the day. I mist both basilisks in the morning with a tropical spray that contains aloe and vitamin B which helps with shedding and respiration. I also mist the leafs with water several times a day. In an attempt to "tame" the basilisks, I try holding them for about 5-10 minutes a day. They don’t love it, but they certainly do tolerate it quite well.

I am new to basilisks, so if anyone can suggest something I can do better, please let me know.

01/27/09  10:20pm

Mattcsw
View Profile

I got mine when he was a baby about 2 years ago.

My feeding schedule is twice a day as much as they eat(for all of my reptiles).

Most reptiles won’t bother with things that don’t move. Just nature.

Make sure you’re only using the stuff with d3 2-3 times a week(d3 can be toxic if overloaded) and pure calcium daily.

2nd pic looks to be male(which could explain the headbobbing(being territorial))

By 24 hours a day do you mean an infared bulb? And do you have a uvb bulb? Cause those are important.

Everything looks and sounds good. Cute bassies.

01/27/09  11:38pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: Mattcsw   In reference to Message Id: 1941296

Thanks so much for the reply!

I don’t have a UVB bulb because I haven’t been able to find one in the local pet stores. I’m planning to order one online within a few days. The 24 hour one is the infrared bulb. And I’m happy to hear about Cain possibly being a boy...I was really hoping for one.

01/27/09  11:44pm

Mattcsw
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1941300

No problem.

When you get a uvb, make sure you get the tube one and not the coil one cause they cause eye problems.

01/28/09  03:33pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: Mattcsw   In reference to Message Id: 1941639

I found an actual bulb from zoomed that is UVA/UVB. It’s not a coiled one, which I’d read could cause burns. Do you think that’d be ok? If not, I’d switch to a tube.

01/28/09  05:01pm

Mattcsw
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1941713

What bulb is it?

01/29/09  03:48pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: Mattcsw   In reference to Message Id: 1942324

Here’s a link to the exact product:

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=40&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1&SearchContext=YTo1OntzOjQ6IlBhZ2UiO3M6MToiMSI7czo4OiJTZWFyY2hJRCI7czoxOiIxIjtzOjEwOiJEYXRhYmFzZUlEIjtzOjE6IjIiO3M6NzoiSGVhZGluZyI7czo5OiJUZXJyYXJpdW0iO3M6MTU6IlByb2R1Y3RDYXRlZ29yeSI7czo4OiJMaWdodGluZyI7fQ==

01/29/09  04:13pm

AshleyShadows
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1942348

Wow I just realized how I misread the box. It says something about UVB on it, but I guess it doesn’t actually have it. I feel beyond stupid and now I have to go out and buy a new bulb and fixture.

01/29/09  04:16pm

Mattcsw
View Profile

Message To: AshleyShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1942353

lol.
it happens.

01/29/09  07:56pm

Basilisk123
View Profile

you shout feed them 12/ side 3 criket every day . only use casium 2 time a week . very importain the temperture is have to be warm at 30_27_C at day time is 24_25 -C at night time your basilisk will eat .use a infared heat bulb will make your lizazds cam .and i 24/7 you can live on 24 hour. if u do that your lizasd shout be eating

02/27/09  07:08pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area