Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Creties   Dislimbed   BambooZoo   Creties   Dislimbed   BambooZoo  
 Member  Message

Creties
View Profile

Serious Help

Guys I need some serious help. I’m afraid that my brown basilisk has MBD[metabolic bone disease] I need an experts help. She hasn’t been climbing at all. And she doesn’t eat unless i feed her by hand. When she runs she scrambles with her front legs, she doesn’t use the back one. And shes been tired. PLEASE RESPOND!!!

09/20/08  03:34pm

Dislimbed
View Profile

Message To: Creties   In reference to Message Id: 1864219

Serious Help

Do you have a UVB bulb?
What do you dust with?

You should have a uvb bulb
Dust with pure calcium 5 times a week; and D3 twice a week to absorb the calcium.

09/21/08  02:18am

BambooZoo
View Profile

Message To: Dislimbed   In reference to Message Id: 1864730

Serious Help

I would immediately replace your UVB bulb. It isn’t just whether you have one but the age of the bulb itself and whether the basilisk can get close enough to it to absorb what it needs. When you are buying the new bulb check for the optimum distance. (Some need to be within 6 inches of the lizard) to do the most good. If it does not give distance on the packaging contact the company and ask.

A vet will give an injection of calcium. If you can find it there are liquid calcium drops made for birds. As dislimbed stated you have to get the D3 in to it as well. If you are in an area where he can be taken outside into the sun, do so for 3 or 4 hours per day. If you don’t see improvement in under a week.....get to the vet.

Hydration is more important than food. syringe feed ~ water, calcium, and an electrolite, 2 times a day and be careful if taking it out in the sun that it doesnt dehydrate.

Pat

09/21/08  04:59am

Creties
View Profile

Message To: BambooZoo   In reference to Message Id: 1864754

Serious Help

yes, dislimbed i have a uvb bulb and i dust with rep-cal powder it says it has all the calcium and D3 vitamins in it and that no other supplements are required.

And bamboozoo, i haven’t had the bulb for a year or nothing maybe a couple months. She is so weak she stays on the ground the whole time. How much would a vet cost to start the treatment? And are you saying to buy the liquid calcium drops that the birds use? I’ll try the outside idea. And I’ll syringe feed and give her water. How do I syringe feed her?

Thanks both of you.

09/21/08  12:49pm

Dislimbed
View Profile

Message To: Creties   In reference to Message Id: 1864895

Serious Help

I’m not sure about that repti-cal(never used it) but from what i know, its supposed to be pure calcium 5 times a week, and D3 twice a week. I use bone aid calcium(pure calcium), and some anole dust for he D3.

If you have all of this stuff, maybe it’s not a calcium deficiency, but hes maybe being like this because you have a small enclosure?
Make sure his humidity is at the right percentage.

09/22/08  12:11am

BambooZoo
View Profile

Message To: Dislimbed   In reference to Message Id: 1865528

Serious Help

Use an old syringe or an eye dropper. You can add in some baby food to the mix or pedialite, non flavoured instead of electrolites. Sometimes holding them sideways a little and prying their mouths just enough to get the end of the syringe in until they get a taste. Many will then be cooperative about getting some of it into them. Try dropping the mixture onto the end of her nose, first. She may be cooperative just doing that.

Our ability to recreate UVB is still minimal in comparison to nature and bringing her outside will give a huge boost, (head start) if it is MBD. Keep her misted down while outside.

A calcium shot from the vet shouldnt run more than 100.

Pat

09/22/08  06:32am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area