Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Booder   Al_frog  
 Member  Message

Booder
View Profile

Seeking HELP from experienced basilisk owner!

I was hoping someone could please HELP me! I received a green basilisk from a friend who moved. The little guy/girl is roughly 10 months old, and everything has been going fine till now. The lizard is usually quite energetic, and has a great eating habit. However, recently it has been sleeping ALOT; almost everytime I check up on it. It has to be force fed crickets and mealworms. It seems to be clumsier, but still energetic when frightened. And most importantly, its lip on one side seems to be slightly puffed out and off color. Additionally, he/she opens its mouth alot to breathe; it rubbed its nose quite well on its former glass tank. Please help if you can shed some insight! Thank you!

06/23/08  04:04pm

Al_frog
View Profile

Message To: Booder   In reference to Message Id: 1770837

Seeking HELP from experienced basilisk owner!

You really need to take your basilisk in to a herp vet. The lip thing and breathing issues in particular sounds like an infection and one that would require professional help to determine the type of treatment that could clear up the problem. I know it is not easy to consider the cost and other issues of going to a vet but sometimes it can not be avoided. I also recommend reading all the care and habitat information you can find to see if something about your husbandry could have led to this problem or problems. It sounds like you need to do this soon or you won’t have the Basilisk. Good Luck!

06/28/08  02:59am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area