Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Angelo   Yexalen   Angelo   BambooZoo   Doug2   Doug2   BambooZoo  
 Member  Message

Angelo
View Profile

Brown basilisk cage

I have a small closet that i don’t use anymore, and want to use it for a brown basilisk. The dimensions are 8’ tall x 3.5’ wide x 2.5’ depth. i can make all the necessary adjustments. What other animals do you suggest i put in there other than the basilisk?

06/16/08  04:08pm

Yexalen
View Profile

Message To: Angelo   In reference to Message Id: 1762867

Brown basilisk cage

You can not house other animals with a Basilisk, however if you are looking for options OTHER then a basilisk for that enclosure many others would work.

But no mixing other species of lizards, frogs, or other reptiles/amphibeans

But for other options of lizards that would work with that size enclosure:

Cuban Knight Anole
Chinese Water Dragon
Australian Water Dragon
Green Basilisk
An Iguana for a short time until he outgrows it

and multiple small arboreal lizards.

But if your looking for an animal to house with your basilisk in this size enclosure you cant do it. Separate tanks or a devider

06/16/08  11:46pm

Angelo
View Profile

Message To: Yexalen   In reference to Message Id: 1763495

Brown basilisk cage

i never said i wanted to mix species.

06/20/08  07:10pm

BambooZoo
View Profile

Message To: Angelo   In reference to Message Id: 1767861

Brown basilisk cage

I do mix species. I have many community tanks. In one of my environments, my Asian water dragon lives with a basilisk...these 2 have lived together well for the past 3 years minimum, since the basilisk was brought home. There is also a tokay in the environment and a large toad.

My second basilisk lives well with an Australian water dragon and a veiled cham.

There are many reasons why it shouldnt work. Many reasons why it is recommended not to do. And many other considerations mixed in. All of which are well documented on many sites.

Pat

06/23/08  05:59am

Doug2
View Profile

Message To: BambooZoo   In reference to Message Id: 1770355

Brown basilisk cage

BambooZoo I frown upon that you take the risk if mixing species and would not recommend it. But I am so impressed that you reached out and did what everyone said you cant do.

But what are you trying to accomplish by mixing species?

09/02/08  09:27pm

Doug2
View Profile

Message To: Doug2   In reference to Message Id: 1849968

Brown basilisk cage

And some of those animals aren’t supposed to be housed with their own species!

09/02/08  09:30pm

BambooZoo
View Profile

Message To: Doug2   In reference to Message Id: 1849974

Brown basilisk cage

Hi Doug....sorry I missed the questions. Second one first....you are right and there are many more issues with attempting to house with their own species or with a very similar species than with different ones.

When I started with a beardie 8 years ago...at the age of 40, I didn’t know any other herp keepers, didnt come into forums and care sheets didnt say...dont mix a beardie with another species. So, the bottom line was I never found out I was not supposed to be successful doing it. Apparently they forgot to tell the lizards as well.

Some of the things I have learned along the way......my male green basilisk does not live well with the brown basilisks and are separated. My 2 female browns are also separate from each other as 1 of the 2 will not thrive with the other. The male green also will not live with the Australian and has settled with only one of the 3 of my Asians. But....if I place a rainbow skink in with him....there is no negative reaction. (Rainbow skinks can live with just about anything with a body length under 8 or 9 inches.)

The veiled will not live well with anything smaller than he is (he is only about 1/2 the size he should be)...but he does not bother the Australian WD or the basilisk. Nor do they bother him. The veiled is close to having lived out his life expectancy.

My 3 giant day geckos are separated from each other.......but are successful in living with other species:
female #1 ~ lives with a cuban anole, an emerald swift, a rainbow skink. Female #2 lives with a fat tail gecko and a whites tree frog. Male lives with: barking tree frogs, fire bellies, a golden gecko, 2 rainbow skinks, 2 anoles, a wood turtle and a very miniature water dragon.

Blue tongue skinks are known to maim and kill other blueys......but has never batted an eye at the clubtail iguana it lives with, nor the berber skinks.

The environments have to be created with all in mind, compromises have to be made for "optimum conditions". Lots of hides, basking spots and "furniture" so that each finds its comfort zone. And I will tear everything apart on the spot if I see any problems. There are some species that absolutely will not cope with cohabitation settings, my uro being one, horned mountain dragons a second.

Pat

09/17/08  07:23am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area