Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Stina   Basiliskboy911   Dislimbed   Stina   Xurbanclimberx   Stina  
 Member  Message

Stina
View Profile

What are your thoughts on release?

I have a large adult male Brown Basilisc. He was found by some people at Universal Studios and they didn’t know what to do with him so they gave hime to me. I know Basiliscs are not native to Florida but I guess there is a large wild population from former pets being lost or released. He was pretty beat up and chewed on but appears very docile. I have him in a 5ft tall, 3 ft wide enclosure outside (When it’s nice out) I figure he was used to being outside. He has leafy branches to climb, which he does, and a large water dish. He is under an overhang so he can get in out of the sun if he wants to. He eats well, poops a lot and is active.
I’ve had him for about 2 months and he’s seems very healthy but I don’t think he is happy in his enclosure. I’m pretty sure this guy was loose on his own for a long time, maybe even born in the wild but he is very docile when handled so it’s possible he was a loose pet.
Here’s my question. Would it be considered unethical to re-release him since he was wild to begin with or do they just have no right being loose here in Florida? Normally I would NEVER release a pet of any kind into the wild.

05/04/08  12:04am

Basiliskboy911
View Profile

Message To: Stina   In reference to Message Id: 1724542

do not release!

05/04/08  05:04pm

Dislimbed
View Profile

Message To: Stina   In reference to Message Id: 1724542

If you release it, you risk having some kid catching it and doing who knows what with it. And it may be relying on you for its basic needs. But it could have all the space it wants.
If it was me, i would keep it, just because i dont know where it would end up.

-suicidepill

05/04/08  05:51pm

Stina
View Profile

Message To: Dislimbed   In reference to Message Id: 1725101

Yeah...I guess he’s still better off with me then going back out to fend for himself. I hadn’t even thought of the possability of him being re-captured.

05/04/08  10:53pm

Xurbanclimberx
View Profile

Message To: Stina   In reference to Message Id: 1725429

You should never release an animal that is not native to where you are. These species can sometimes out compete native species and ruin a habitat.

05/05/08  07:07pm

Stina
View Profile

Message To: Xurbanclimberx   In reference to Message Id: 1726242

Xurbanclimberx I know that you should NEVER release an animal if it is not native. The reason I was asking about THIS one is because it was already wild here in Florida...it was found loose by some people where I work so I was wondering which was the lesser of to evils. Releasing a non-native animal (I know there is a wild Basilisk population here although they are not originally from here) or keeping a previously wild animal in captivity. (Although I guess he could have been a pet that someone lost or released)
It was actually someone on here in one of my earlier posts about this basilisk that suggested I re-release him which is actually what got me thinking about it.
That being said...I believe your statement would still stand....."Do not release a non-native animal"

05/06/08  09:49pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area