Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Seiryu   Master Of Cold Blood   Seiryu   Lopo  
 Member  Message

Seiryu
View Profile

Tail question

So I know I have Basilisk, but since the Basilisk forums are dead and we see maybe 1 post every week I figured i’d try here since WDs and Basilisk are similar.

I have 2 basilisk and their tails alternate Green, Black, Green, Black etc in rings. However one of mine sort of has a brownish end that’s about 2.5-3". The other however alternates correctly and the tip of his tail is less than an inch. Which seems to be normal as it alternated that way.

Anyways the ones tail that is 2.5-3" of brownish/black IS bendable and flexable, but I think it might be a bad shed.

Humidity is 60-80%, they have a huge pool to soak (18" by 36"), enclosure size is 6x5x5 feet, Basking is 94-98. Everything is right, except i think his tail just isn’t shedding properly. I give them 1-2 warm baths weekly for 30-45mins each time.

Any tips? I have read a couple drops of Mineral or Olive Oil and rub gently. Would I do this daily , weekly or? I am honestly not sure if it is a bad shed, but don’t want to take any chances. I’d post pictures but sadly my camera is being borrowed by my nephew. Thanks in advance!

05/01/08  04:25pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu   In reference to Message Id: 1722345

Tail question

Hmm, I’m not sure what it is. Are you sure its just not the natural coloring?
Usually with sheds the skin turns a greyish color.

I bought a vita spray and shed-aid products for my lizards.

(I would post here more often, but sometimes I drift off and forget to post here.)

05/12/08  09:50am

Seiryu
View Profile

Message To: Master Of Cold Blood   In reference to Message Id: 1732771

Tail question

It could be natural coloring. I have had them both for 2 years. One alternates the green/black all the way down. The one I think is having a tail problem has brown/black tail the last 4" or so.

Sadly I dropped the roll of film with their baby pictures and I can’t recall if his tail was always this way, but I don’t think it was.

What does the Vita-spray do? I mean do you spray both the Vita and shed-aid products on the tail?

Also where do you get them?

And lastly. I have been rubbing 100% natural olive oil on the ones tail to help shed and I give him a warm bath 3-4 times a week and still nothing has come off.

05/12/08  02:57pm

Lopo
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu   In reference to Message Id: 1722345

Tail question

i wouldnt worry about it much it cou8ld just be different coloring just a reccesive or codominant gene but if he is behaving differently and you think its an issue i think the best thing you can do is find a herp vet. they are hard to find but i dont exactly think that we’re all qualified vets perhaps even just call up your herp vet if u have one. i have a great one but make sure he doesnt specilize on one lizard inperticular. a guy that was just for anoles scammed me and i was out $100 i dont know im only just really looking into basalisk’s myself

05/17/08  11:00am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area