Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Mileo45_   Seiryu   Suicidepill   Mileo45_   Seiryu   Suicidepill  
 Member  Message

Mileo45_
View Profile

If I was to...

If I was to get a basilisk how big would it get? How much would it cost? Are they friendly (or friendly enough)? What do they need as far as housing goes?
I was browsing a few days ago through various forums and saw this and thought I would check it out.
If you can give me some help with this I thank you very much.
-Amelia

04/23/08  09:36am

Seiryu
View Profile

Message To: Mileo45_   In reference to Message Id: 1713316

If I was to...

Green Basilisk get to be 2-3 feet long (Half being tail). Brown I would assume would be about the same

I got my Green basilisk for $40 a piece.

They are friendly provided you handle them when you get them. BUT give them a month to get settled into their new enclosure before heavy handling. However some are mean, like any animal.

If you go with a Baby (recommended as adults might not deal well with a new person), you’ll need about a 40gallon tank (again if it’s a baby). At about a year old, any Enclosure smaller than 4x4x4 FEET is too small. if you can’t do that than I don’t recommend getting one.

They are Arboreal lizards and love climbing things, hence why they need a tall enclosure. As far as specifics on heat and UVB, just go to the Caresheet and google works wonders :)

04/23/08  01:40pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu   In reference to Message Id: 1713474

If I was to...

I wouldn’t waste time with the 40 or any other tank at all.
I’d go strait to the permanent one, unless you already have a tank or already have the lizard and can only buy hte tank.
And 4x4x4 isn’t minimum, but bigger=better.
I’d say minimum is about 4x2x4

They are also known to be more of a flighty kind of lizard, look no touch, display little lizard. Not liked to be handled little lizard.

04/23/08  09:59pm

Mileo45_
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1714180

If I was to...

Thank you very much for the information. Hopefully I will be able to get one soon and post some pics of him/her.
-Amelia

04/24/08  08:39am

Seiryu
View Profile

Message To: Mileo45_   In reference to Message Id: 1714498

If I was to...

Suicide- If you stick a baby in a giant enclosure, you’ll have NO IDEA how much he is eating. Unless you are willing to every day, check out the entire enclosure to see how many crickets are left over.

Or you can just feed it mealworms, which is the easy way out and not as nutritional for the lizards.

So no, do not go for the biggest enclosure possible to begin with. Any smart breeder or caretaker of these animals will tell you the same thing.

04/24/08  10:10am

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu   In reference to Message Id: 1714571

If I was to...

When i feed mine(baby and adult) he always goes strait for the food and i feed him untill he stops eating, so thats no problem for me. But if you just want to feed it just to get it over with then i can see your point. You can use a dish too.

04/24/08  04:01pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area