Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Basilisks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Picto_animal_keeper   Seiryu   B-Fish   Seiryu   Jobbyman   PartyPhil4   Leos unlimited   Rokdog   Sinosauropterix   Repic zone   PinguWin   Seabass1  

Member  Message

Picto_animal_keeper
View Profile

Boy or girl

hey i have had my basilisk for a while now and when i got it it had some toes missing and some of its tail the lenght that its at svl shows that it should be nearly 2 years old. i usually can tell if its male or female but this is puzzling me because when i checked the hemipenes near the tail it looks to be male but at 2 years old it should have larger fins please help here are some pictures.

04/08/08  07:46am

Seiryu
View Profile

Message To: Picto_animal_keeper   In reference to Message Id: 1694251

Boy or girl

I would probably say female, 80% sure. I have 2 males, who are 1.5 years old who have much bigger crests on them and the fin down their backs.

However. I would not be suprised if it was Male, as to me, the head does look more Male like.

Like any animal. Some develope things faster/slower depending on a few things. Genetics (big one), Habitat, and Diet. If you are not using at LEAST a 4 feet long, 3 feet wide, 4 feet tall enclosure your Basilisk will not develope as fast and may never develope big crests/fins. They need room to feel safe, and if they do not feel safe, they do not eat or grow as well.

Lighting is a big issue as well. If your Basilisk isn’t recieving enough light, than it will grow slower. The common "ReptiSun/ReptiGlo" what have you’s of 5.0’s and 10.0’s deliver about 1/20th (yes about 5%) of the natural light wild Basilisk receive. They are essentially the minimal for them to live. Those lights do however provide very good UVB which is essential.

If you have a smaller enclosure, like a 40-50gallon tank. You could always bring them outside in the summer with a Mesh/Screen lid (Must allow rays to get to basilisk, if solid it will lose most of the things the sun gives off) and let them soak in some rays for an hour or 2 a day or as much as possible. This will help IMMENSILY. I would say, no more than 15 hours a week total. But at least 7 hours to be more efficient a week.

If you cannot provide expensive bulbs like Metal Halides or Mercury Vapor Bulbs, than I suggest this:

Make sure your enclosure is at least 4x3x4 (3 being the wideness). Combine 5.0 or 10.0s with 2.0 Flourescent lighting. The 2.0’s don’t provide nearly as much UVB, but provide much more light.
Couple of things. You may(should) have these, but you wer’nt really specific and I had time to type this and help.

~Large pool/tub for the Basilisk to soak in. (Also raises humidity) At least 5" deep and at least 1.5 by 1.5 feet is good
~Basking spot of 85-95 degrees
~LOTS and lots of things to climb on. If you live near a river, you can get driftwood (free yey). Just clean them thoroughly and disenfect. (Wait a week before putting in cage after cleaning). Basilisk thrive in places they can hide/climb a lot.
~Do you dust your insects with a Calcium/Vitamin supplement?
~Humidity should always be above 60% and should usually be around 80-90%.
~Lots of plants (live preferred if you can, also raise humidity) but I use fake plants and they do just fine.

Those were just a few things I know will make your lizard much healthier/happier. However your basilisk does look healthy.

If I had to guess, IF it is Male, than it is probably genetics because yours does look in good shape. If this was too much than I am sorry, but these are all things I feel strongly about. Hope it helps!

04/08/08  10:49am

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu   In reference to Message Id: 1694412

Boy or girl

Is it extremely skinny or is that just how they look?

04/09/08  10:12pm

Seiryu
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1696888

Boy or girl

His, if anything is a little on the chunky side, but nothing too big.

Their ribs show when they breath.

04/10/08  12:42pm

Jobbyman
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu   In reference to Message Id: 1694412

Boy or girl

you seem to know what ure talking about.i have a very young basilisk and was wondering if you could tell me the best way 2 sex it.

10/26/08  01:01pm

PartyPhil4
View Profile

Message To: Jobbyman   In reference to Message Id: 1887982

Boy or girl

girl

10/26/08  08:02pm

Leos unlimited
View Profile

Boy or girl

Sorry, No Message.

01/04/09  09:17am

Rokdog
View Profile

Boy or girl

?

10/29/09  10:44am

Sinosauropterix
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2089653

Boy or girl

That definately looks like a female to me. I dunno, something about the face and that crest says "female" to me.

09/29/10  01:12am

Repic zone
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu   In reference to Message Id: 1697528

Boy or girl

Its a boy!

10/28/10  06:28am

PinguWin
View Profile

Boy or girl

2 years old?
Definitely a female!

01/22/13  08:33am

Seabass1
View Profile

Message To: PinguWin   In reference to Message Id: 2290198

Boy or girl

That is a female for sure I have a male and three females they can com down hand feed her some and hold her my one female was real mean when I got her now tame it takes time

01/22/13  08:36pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area