Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Shortiegirl   Bassieboy33   Bassieboy33   Suicidepill   Shortiegirl   Suicidepill   Shortiegirl   Shortiegirl   Suicidepill   Suicidepill   LP   Basiliskboy911   Jbariop   Jbariop   Shortiegirl  
 Member  Message

Shortiegirl
View Profile

New baby basilisk

Hey ya’ll,

I fell in love with a baby basilisk & wound up bringing him home after a failed rescue (water dragon). Seeing as we had the spare tank & it was already set-up for a tropical critter it wasn’t such a big deal to clean everything up. He’s in a 40B for now with shelf liner as substrate, hides, branches, basking spot and plenty of foliage. He loves to hang on the tank top, lol. We’ve got a MegaRay as heat+UVB. He’ll be built a custom enclosure similar to my water dragons set-up in good time.

Without any further ado, meet Shrek!

A couple of quick questions for you keepers out there.

Do they require a large, moving water source like water dragons? I use extra large kitty litter pans for them along with filters and bubblers; will this be sufficient for Shrek?
I only have noticed him drinking when misted or the condensation on the walls of the tank; normal?
Do they typically "go" in thier water?
Does any one else’s kill just for the heck of it? We gave him some crickets (gut-loaded) and he ate about 3 then decided to go serial killer on the rest, lil bugger. I usually get the "odd balls", I just need to know if I should use the one-at-a-time method to feed my lil guy.
We would like to handle him eventually, but know they tend to be flighty. Does anyone have any tips on taming/calming or is it more based on his personality (which is CRAZY so far, lol)?

I think that’s about it; thanks guys!

~Michelle

01/22/08  12:28pm

Bassieboy33
View Profile

Message To: Shortiegirl   In reference to Message Id: 1589472

New baby basilisk

yes to all the above questions and sometimes mine does kill for the heck of it LOL
Handling: you can just get him to walk on your hand if that does not work then just let him get used to you being around him thats normal for moast basilisks when they don’t know there owner to go crazy.

01/22/08  03:45pm

Bassieboy33
View Profile

Message To: Bassieboy33   In reference to Message Id: 1589683

New baby basilisk

Btw you guys my other account name is basilisk911

01/22/08  03:46pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Shortiegirl   In reference to Message Id: 1589472

New baby basilisk

oh he’s beautiful.love the greens.reminds me of when mine was a baby.
They don’t require moving water but im sure it will be an advantage for him.The kitty litter box will work.Just make sure his whole body will fit and he can swim comfortably.
Yes thats normal.Yes they will go in their water.Bailisks love water.He may just be shy around you.
I wouldn’t worry about him killng all the crickets, i’d try the one at a time method, see how it goes.
And for the handleing, i only handle him when cleaning the cage, so i can’t really help you out their. I’ve heard that most basilisks will never "tame". I just leave mine be the basilisk he is and leave him alone.
Love your cage set-up by the way.

01/22/08  04:47pm

Shortiegirl
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1589761

New baby basilisk

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it!

He hasn’t found his poop spot yet...it’s pretty much anywhere he feels the need, lol. Will sure be nice once he finds a spot (like the water dish!) and sticks to it. That’s the nice thing about my CWD’s & Leos...they’re fairly routine when it comes to that particular aspect of herping! My beardies are a WHOLE ’nother story though (though I have most of them water trained now, thank goodness!).

I intend to give him a similar set-up to my water dragons; here’s a few shots of one of my custom build enclosures for my female, Sprite. Its a temp tank (Shrek will probably move into it once I get her "final" tank done until I build his final - and then there’s always room for more...who’s counting by now!) and measure’s 4’H x 4’L x 2’D.

(and one of the occupant just because I love to show her off; this is my 3 year old female chinese water dragon Sprite)

My water dragons love the kitty litter pans; they’re deep enough for them to swim and dive into without hurting themselves (even my big male Oscar!) and are easy to change when I need to replace the water. All I have to say is thank goodness for filters! I’m sure he’ll enjoy it once he’s big enough. For now he has a shallow dish so I don’t have to worry about him drowning.

I want to get a picture of how he sleeps at night; he hangs from the top of the tank! Silly guy, but he makes me laugh! Thanks for all your help & I look forward to learning & hopefullt being an assett to the community!

~Michelle

PS - how young is too young for sexing. I can generally start to tell with CWD’s when they his the juvinile to sub-adult stage (or about 15" STL). Are there any primary characteristics, or should I just wait for the crest to begin to develop? Thanks!!!

01/22/08  05:49pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Shortiegirl   In reference to Message Id: 1589856

New baby basilisk

Yea my basilisk goes everywhere too and i guess i have to deal with it lol. Atleast my fattail gecko and leo have one spot, makes it easier.Sprite is pretty and i lover her enclosure, i’ve seen it a while ago on the water dragon forum; VERY active compared to this forum theirs like one post a year lol. Haha my basilisk used to sleep with his belly against the glass and his arms up like he’s praising someone, but it was cute. When i get my custom built, i’m having a filter so i won’t have to change it everyday, less labor!
I sexed mine at 15 inches, males are more pronounced than females at times, and mine ended up being a male(he got the crest/fin) so it was easy for me.Its pretty much the same as water dragons IMO.

01/22/08  06:34pm

Shortiegirl
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1589761

New baby basilisk

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses!

He’s a funny lil guy, I have to get a picture of how he sleeps...he hangs from the tank top. Bonehead! I can’t figure out why; but I usually get the strange critters.

Here’s a picture of my CWD tank; it will most likely be his tank once I get Sprite’s final tank finished. It measures 4’H x 4’L x 2’D; that should be enough room for him while he’s growing. Or for a full grown female (if anyone thinks different, please let me know; I’ve built many a tank lol). What do you think?

And one of Sprite & Oscar, just because!

I love using the kitty litter pans, they’re deep enough for them to fully submerge, swim & even dive but enough enough for me to get out and really scrub.

Does anyone know a good way to sex or is it pretty much wait for the crest to develop?

Thanks!

~Michelle

01/22/08  07:17pm

Shortiegirl
View Profile

Message To: Shortiegirl   In reference to Message Id: 1590027

New baby basilisk

Wow, sorry for the double post! When I looked before, I didn’t see the other one there & my PC screwed up and I thught it didn’t get us there, lol.

Anyway, I got some cute shots of the little bugger today & figured I’d share!

Dinner Time!

"What Mom, no more??!!"

His tank for now

Basking after a good meal (he’s definately a weirdo!)

~Michelle

01/22/08  08:02pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Shortiegirl   In reference to Message Id: 1590121

New baby basilisk

He’s definetly cute.

01/22/08  10:43pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1590500

New baby basilisk

Your 4x4x2 will be big enough for both a full grown male or female basilisk.
Nice cage by the way.

01/23/08  03:28pm

LP
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1591098

New baby basilisk

you guys have very nice and healthy lizards
i like the male of the green basilisk because it looks similar to the dinosaur only its smaller

01/23/08  07:20pm

Basiliskboy911
View Profile

Message To: LP   In reference to Message Id: 1591449

New baby basilisk

later i am going to post a pic of my basilisk do you guys think you will be able to tel me iff it is a male or female? ill take pictures of him up close and a pic of his butt. :)

02/02/08  09:18am

Jbariop
View Profile

Message To: Basiliskboy911   In reference to Message Id: 1605723

New baby basilisk

how does she know hers is a boy

02/28/08  09:40pm

Jbariop
View Profile

Message To: Jbariop   In reference to Message Id: 1642029

New baby basilisk

is this little on boy or girl

another one

03/02/08  08:23pm

Shortiegirl
View Profile

Message To: Jbariop   In reference to Message Id: 1645319

New baby basilisk

I can’t tell from your photos if you have a male or female; but I’m beginning to think mine is definately male though, based on behavior alone. He’s a scrappy lil guy, lol. We recently moved (which didn’t phaze him at all!) and my BF rearranged the living room and I don’t think he realized that he put my ball python Sable right in his line of view. Well Shrek went a little buck, bopping and displaying when she came out to check things over. It was cute, ’specially since he’s so little, but he wasn’t doing the slow, submissive bobbing of a female but more the aggitated "I’m gonna kick your ***" bobbing of a territorial male. His crest is also developing more along the lines of a male than a female, but it’s still way to early to tell.

He’s quite a little fearless thing, not so skittish since we moved him out of the bedroom into the more active living room. He’s settled down & actually has a nice little fat budda belly :) He demolishes crickets and small supers (can’t wait for roaches!) but no interest in greens whatsoever. Oh well, he’s a good boy and shedding AGAIN!

Sorry for the novel, I’m proud of my little guy!

~Michelle

03/03/08  08:41am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area