Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Rypet23   Frillz   Rypet23   LP   Rypet23   Shortiegirl   Rypet23   Shortiegirl   Rypet23   Shortiegirl  
 Member  Message

Rypet23
View Profile

New basilisk need help

i was at a reptile show yesterday and saw these poor brown bassilisks. they were all under weight and clearly malnourished. so i took a chance and bought one. im guessing on the age but i would say hes 2 yrs or so.he seems to not want to put pressure om his front right foot. he trys to use it when he climbs but not that well. i was hoping for some advice. i am a certified vet technician and will be taking x_rays tomorrow. i was thinking liquid calcium would help but i know of know other treatment. any suggestions would be helpful. what could i offer to help fatten this guy up. thanks

01/21/08  11:04am

Frillz
View Profile

Message To: Rypet23   In reference to Message Id: 1588054

New basilisk need help

i got my brown basilisk for the same reason, shes 20inchs and she looked kinda skinny on her hind legs, and on the right one she has MBD she cant bend it all the way back or stretch it out fully, when she runs she starts drifting off too the side.

but i was reccomended a calcium spray, you spray on the food and let it dry for 15min and then feed it too the basilisk, and have a good uv light of somekind...hope i helped
~ON3~

01/22/08  01:24am

Rypet23
View Profile

Message To: Rypet23   In reference to Message Id: 1588054

New basilisk need help

x- ray was negative for anything his bone structure looks good. i gave him some iv fluids yesterday and he perked up for a little bit, but he seems really depressed. he looks like he has bite wounds from the other basies he was with. he has a open cut on his head. i treated it with a antibiotic and rubbed him down with mineral oil to help him shead. i am trying but he just seems like he wants to give up. i have him housed in a 75 gal tall terrarium that also has 2 very young wd in it. he dosent seem to mind them and started to climb a little. i have been having to force fed him with a suppliment diet and he really dosent like when i do it he bites the crap out of me. i will look into the spray thanks for all the help.

01/23/08  11:12am

LP
View Profile

Message To: Rypet23   In reference to Message Id: 1590869

New basilisk need help

if you done his cage set up properly then feed him more waxworm it will fatten him up

01/23/08  08:10pm

Rypet23
View Profile

Message To: LP   In reference to Message Id: 1591520

New basilisk need help

hes in a 75 gal custom tall. its got lots of climbing vines and plenty of water to swim. temps are around 82-85deg UV lights everything is perfect. he doesn’t eat anything he is very lethargic. I’ve had to give him fluids by injection for the last 3 days. and feed him with a syringe. I’ve offered him wax worms crix super worms silks he wants nothing to do with any of it. i don’t know what else to do. i am taking him to a vet asap but i have to find a reptile vet there’s not many here in Pitt. i just hope he stays alive to make to one i think if i move him to a carrier and take him for a car ride it will stress him to the point of death. wish me luck. thanks for all the help. keep it comin

01/24/08  11:18am

Shortiegirl
View Profile

Message To: Rypet23   In reference to Message Id: 1592213

New basilisk need help

What brand & model (and type, coil/compact/tube) UV light do you have? Some lights have been causing both serious eye problems and lethargy.

For vets, try herpvetconnection dot com & arav dot com; I got my vet there & he’s awesome!

~Michelle

01/25/08  06:10pm

Rypet23
View Profile

Message To: Shortiegirl   In reference to Message Id: 1594172

New basilisk need help

thanks for the site link i will try them out. im not sure of the brand but its a 10.0 tropical bulb its all coiled up if that helps ive had it for a while i use it for my water dragons. when i bought him he was in a 10 gal tank with 3 others and there was a heat light only. no telling how long he was like that

01/27/08  09:46pm

Shortiegirl
View Profile

Message To: Rypet23   In reference to Message Id: 1597621

New basilisk need help

The coils & compact lights have been causing alot of problems, including many of the symptoms you were describing. Currently, the ONLY standard flourescent UVB light that I’m recommending is the Repti-SUN 10.0 tube light.

Check out this link regarding the compacts/coil lights (the enitre website should be in every herpers favorites, it’s great!): http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

I would replace the current UV light asap, you can typically find the ReptiSun bulbs cheaper online than in stores if that’s an option for you. Keep in mind that flourescent lighting needs to be replaced every 5-6 months, otherwise the decay rate does not allow for the reptiles to synthisize the amount of D3 required by their bodies. I use MVB’s (MegaRay reptileuv.com) myself and love them.

~Michelle

01/28/08  12:22pm

Rypet23
View Profile

Message To: Shortiegirl   In reference to Message Id: 1598223

New basilisk need help

thanks i will have to check them out and replace it asap. just so u know the basie i have, i just acquired this past week so it wasnt my lights doing the harm i dont think he has ever had one. i will change it out asap for the sake of my wd’s health and i also have a uro that has the same bulb. i appreciate your concern and thanks.

01/28/08  09:28pm

Shortiegirl
View Profile

Message To: Rypet23   In reference to Message Id: 1599094

New basilisk need help

No problem, that’s why we’re here :)

I wouldn’t be surprised if, due to his weakened condition when you got him that the bulb is affecting him more severely. That’s great that you’ll be replacing the bulb, I bet he’ll perk right up for you!! Keep us informed on his condition!

~Michelle

01/29/08  05:23pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area