Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Basiigrl   Frillz   Basiigrl   Rypet23   Suicidepill   LP   BambooZoo  
 Member  Message

Basiigrl
View Profile

Help!

I wanted to see if anyone could help out... I am a new owner of a basi, my first reptile ever, and I am having some problems. His hind leg from the knee up to the hip is VERY swollen and I don’t know what could be wrong with him. Maybe a broken leg? It’s been about 2 1/2-3 weeks now with no changes. I tried a liquid calcium and powder calcium supplement, again with no changes. I have had him since Christmas and I have never seen him eat other than when I force feed him crickets. He is getting very skinny too. Any suggestions?

01/21/08  12:26am

Frillz
View Profile

Message To: Basiigrl   In reference to Message Id: 1587793

Help!

dont worry, i got mine at a pet show and i got her with a little bump on her knee which is MBD.
the best thing to do is take him to a vet, unfortunatly i cant afford to take mine to a vet right now but can you tell me what his enclosure is like??
do you clean it often??
do you change water daily??
do you change food daily??
do you have a uv light of somekind??
you kno, the basics

01/22/08  01:30am

Basiigrl
View Profile

Message To: Frillz   In reference to Message Id: 1589206

Help!

What does MBD stand for? His enclosure is a vertical metal mesh cage. I haven’t REALLY cleaned it yet since I just got him a little under amonth ago. I change the water daily and just recently, since he has not been doing well, got a water called HYDRATE that is for reptiles. Food I throw about 10 small crickets in there every 2 or 3 days as they run out, but I find myself feeding him by hand while under the weather. He has a T-Rex UV heat light day/night combo.

01/23/08  12:17am

Rypet23
View Profile

Message To: Basiigrl   In reference to Message Id: 1590624

Help!

MBD stands for metabolic bone disease. it is a lack of calcium and it makes the bone like rubber and verry fragile. if u have just acquired the basie, i wouldnt say its your fault because there are lots of breeders(not all) that dont suppliment their reptiles sufficiently. u should look into a good calcium and d3 suppliment and take your basie to the vet to have x-rays taken they will be able to tell u if it is MBD. good luck. hope i helped

01/23/08  11:18am

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Rypet23   In reference to Message Id: 1590873

Help!

Yea what he said, and also, you have to do something about his cage. If you cant get a different one right now, cover it up with something to keep the heat and humidity in. You now what the hot, cold, and basking spot temps are right? And yuou know his humidity percentage? If not the get a digital thermometer and digital hygrometer. What are the measurements of the cage, and how long is he? Iwant to get the tank measurements so i can tell you how many gallons it is. They need ATLEAST 75 gallons as an adult. And are you gutloading his food? That means feeding them fruits and vegitables about 24 hours before feeding them to your bassie, so hes eating healthy food.

01/23/08  03:23pm

LP
View Profile

Message To: Basiigrl   In reference to Message Id: 1587793

Help!

something like that is very hard to recovery but my suggestion is to keep the cage warm and have a basking spot around 95f and a good uvb like reptisun10 and proper diet and dust insect with calcium/vitaminD 2 time perweek. that is what i think but you should consult with other more experience person. i am a beginner lizard person too so i hope this will help

01/23/08  07:47pm

BambooZoo
View Profile

Message To: LP   In reference to Message Id: 1591492

Help!

I recently had a vet answer a question on a reptile emergency kit. She suggested a liquid calcium ~ check out the bird sections of your pet store. She also stated that MBD was the most common ailment that she saw in reptiles.

06/23/08  06:18am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area