Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Geezle   Suicidepill   Geezle   Suicidepill   Geezle   Suicidepill   Suicidepill   Geezle  
 Member  Message

Geezle
View Profile

Grouchy Basilisk

So I have a brown basilisk that was given to me by a friend who didnít have the time to look after it last year. Iíve had her for quite a while now and Iíve noticed that sheís really not very active. She seems to have a favorite branch thatís sorta hidden that she spends pretty much ALL her time on. Sheís also dark in color most of the time.

Sheís a good eater and seems quite healthy, so Iím guessing itís maybe just a personality thing.

11/03/07  12:06pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Geezle   In reference to Message Id: 1499600

Grouchy Basilisk

describe your setup

11/09/07  11:31pm

Geezle
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1508053

Grouchy Basilisk

I wish I had a cam...it would be so much easier.

The enclosure is a 40 gallon breeder with a 3 foot tall wooden top built onto it so the total height is about 4í. A good portion of the aquarium is sectioned off and full of water, with some big rocks and a big piece of bark up out of the water, and then a few fish in there. The water is filtered and heated a bit.

The dry side has a couple inches of bed a beast or whatever that stuff made from coconut fibers is. There are a few shelves in the upper wooden portion, and lots of plants and branches for climbing on.

As for lighting, Iíve got a 5.0 UVB light, and a 45watt halogen for heat which gives me a basking temp around 100F. Iím not sure offhand what my ambient temps are in there though, but my herp room is fairly warm to begin with.

11/11/07  01:03pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Geezle   In reference to Message Id: 1509662

Grouchy Basilisk

depending on his size maybe youíll need a longer cage soon.
warm and cool temps are both important,whats the humidity?
has he been to a vet to see if he has parasites?
and what kind of fish?

11/17/07  02:06am

Geezle
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1516740

Grouchy Basilisk

Looking at her size relative to the enclosure sheís in, I donít think cage size is really an issue.

Temps are ranging from the mid 70ís in the cool areas up to around 85 on the warmer side. Humidity is around 75% right now.

I havenít taken her in to see the vet, but I did have a fecal done a while back when I got her (the guy I got her from housed her with a pair of water dragons, but his dog got one of the dragons, and his cats got the other) and the fecal came back clean.

As for the fish, thereís a few zebra danios, a few platys and one gold mystery smail in there on cleanup duty.

11/17/07  11:51am

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Geezle   In reference to Message Id: 1517015

Grouchy Basilisk

i donít know if those fish are toxic to reptiles if it is eating them. i think your basilisk just wants to be hidden and feel more secure.everything sounds good.

11/19/07  12:07am

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Geezle   In reference to Message Id: 1517015

Grouchy Basilisk

i donít know if those fish are toxic to reptiles if it is eating them. i think your basilisk just wants to be hidden and feel more secure.everything sounds good.

11/19/07  12:08am

Geezle
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1519364

Grouchy Basilisk

Iím pretty much thinking thatís the case as well, really she seems quite healthy.

And she doesnít even try to eat the fish, so I donít think thatís really a concern.

Thanks for your help, I just wanted to make sure there wasnít something I was/wasnít doing properly but everything seems okay, I guess itís just her sketchy personality.

11/19/07  08:45am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area