Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Ame   Laz1975   Ame  
 Member  Message

Ame
View Profile

Extremely Picky Eater

Ive got a femaile green basilisk who is a prima donna, however, she refuses to eat any fruits or veggies. She wont go near them if i leave them in her food dish and if i stick them in her mouth she will spit it out. All she likes to eat are fish, wax worms, meal worms, and every once in a while shell eat crickets. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat her veggies? Also, Id like to get another Basilisk to put with her. Has anyone ever gotten reptiles from LLL Reptiles? They are the only place Ive found that sells captive breed green basilisks. Thanks for your help!

09/14/07  07:10pm

Laz1975
View Profile

Message To: Ame   In reference to Message Id: 1443752

Extremely Picky Eater

I actually purchsed my pair from LLLreptile, and am extremely happy with them. Its been almost 6 months since i got them and they are awesome and aggresive eaters. How old is your basilisk? I feed mine pinkey mice, wax worms, mealworms, crickets, veggies i leave out for them, they generally wont eat the veggies till there a bit older, and the fav food of my basilisks are anoles and house geckos. I dont hand feed them anymore cause they have gotten very fast in there 320sq ft cage. They pretty much act as if there in the wild and are avid hunters. They seem to get very stressed the more i hold them and have opted to not holding them very often cause stress will keep them from having an apetite. Check your lighting also. If they are not getting the right amount of light or the wrong type of light it will supress their apetite. One thing to remember is that the veggies and the wax/mealworms are good bait for other critters for the basilisks to hunt. Id definitely reccomend getting your herps from lll reptile though. Be careful on how small a lizard that you our introducing to the other cause she may eat one if its too small. The anoles and house geckos i put in their (x4 each) generally last about 1-2 weeks depending on how much they move or do not move. Good luck!!!

09/15/07  12:50pm

Ame
View Profile

Message To: Laz1975   In reference to Message Id: 1444505

Extremely Picky Eater

Thanks! Im guessing shes about 5-6 months old. Shes pretty good about being handled, everyonce in while shell bite if im not paying attention but nothing too serious and she goes on a harness great. Im working on improving her tank but the "rennovations" are taking a while due to the expense. How old/big were yours when you started feeding them pinky mice?

09/15/07  05:25pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area