Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Christian55   Skjonnhet   Die   Die   Green basalisk   BambooZoo   Dislimbed   Phil d   BambooZoo  
 Member  Message

Christian55
View Profile

Green Basalisk questions!!!!

Could i keep a basalisk in a 30 gallon equeal tall & long and are basalisks good beginner lizards thanx so much!!
-Christian

07/29/07  09:33pm

Skjonnhet
View Profile

Message To: Christian55   In reference to Message Id: 1379809

I believe they need more than that. They mainly need alot of height. They enjoy being in trees and I dont consider them a beginner lizard. They can also be aggresive.

07/29/07  09:41pm

Die
View Profile

Message To: Skjonnhet   In reference to Message Id: 1379822

i would say u need at least a 40 gal. tank... they r good, and friendly if u have time to play w/ them... like any animal it takes time to built a bond... but just make sure u really want a lizard n can take care of it!!

08/15/07  06:54pm

Die
View Profile

Message To: Skjonnhet   In reference to Message Id: 1379822

i would say u need at least a 40 gal. tank... they r good, and friendly if u have time to play w/ them... like any animal it takes time to built a bond... but just make sure u really want a lizard n can take care of it!!

08/15/07  06:55pm

Green basalisk
View Profile

never put a green basalisk in such a small cage they need room 2 run or it equals[Image]

07/05/08  03:43pm

BambooZoo
View Profile

Message To: Green basalisk   In reference to Message Id: 1783643

I have had a pair of g. basils for 5 years now. The greens are calmer than the browns......they have wicked nails when picking them up if they don’t want you to. They do needs LOADS of room. They are very active tree dwellers that use water as cover. Mine are kept separately. One in a 3 foot hexagon with a male asian water. The other is in a 90 gallon. Both are inadequate for height. I find keeping them with running water sources a good way to go. The filters need to be cleaned often and I have amonia and bacteria removers in them. They do eliminate in water often, consistantly in the case of having enough to submerge in.

Mine are not mean tempered but DO NOT like to be handled. They tear up my arm terribly when I pick them up, here that is rare. I have been bitten once, by one that was "trapped".....likely one of my worst bites from the lizards!

They will be a challenge for a beginner......though they are hardy and I have had no health related problems with them. Try to find one a little older.....a juvenile, rather than a hatchling to first try with.

Pat

08/05/08  09:33am

Dislimbed
View Profile

I would say that a 30 gallon is way too small, and would go with AT LEAST an 80 gallon, but i still think that is pushing it.
And i would also agree on everything Pat said.

08/06/08  04:50am

Phil d
View Profile

Message To: Dislimbed   In reference to Message Id: 1821369

Green Basilisk questions!!!!

i have a 150 gallon tank and in it i have 2 Asian water dragons (one male one female) and 2 basilisks(also one male one female.) the basilisks are a little bigger than the water dragons especially the male but they all seem to be close to about 2 feet in length. i just got the basilisks in the mail from somebody and they started mating right out the box. i have noticed that there is a little bit of cuts and bruising on the females head due to him biting her. is that common? also they haven’t eaten anything since i got them 2 days ago. is this from the stress of the moving and new home. should i separate the water dragons from them while they are mating? they seem to be getting along good. although the male basilisks did show some signs of aggressiveness at first to the male water dragon they are getting along fine now. they have even shared a bath together and i have seen them huddled up under the basking light . if anyone has experience with keeping them together please give me some advise. what should i keep the humidity at and how can i go about doing it. i can keep it about 70 but it drops to 40 after a few hours. I’m not always home to mist the tank. thanks

09/27/08  03:23am

BambooZoo
View Profile

Message To: Phil d   In reference to Message Id: 1869148

Green Basilisk questions!!!!

Not eating ~ the basilisks may take a few days to decide to eat. Settling in. The male will scar the female when mating. Watch that she does not get too stressed from repeated mating.......if so remove her. If she is inclined she is likely already gravid.

Housing them together ~ it may or may not work in the long run. The 150 is a good size for everyone to find their comfort zones. I would place another heat lamp at the far end so they dont have to be in each others faces. Watch for any aggression developing between the water dragon and the basilisk. As it could turn pretty nasty fairly quickly. Basilisks have a mean little bite. I doubt the water dragon will be the initiator. Also watch for intimidation by the basilisk and ensure that the others are not beginning to hide away from him. I have one male Asian that does well with the male green here ....because he is 2 to 3 times the size. Any other combination I have tried has not worked well.

The humidity needs to be in the 70 % range or more. One of the ways that I accomplish that is to have a minimum of 50% water base. I have a heat bulb directly above the water that really helps maintain the level. Many people also cover most of their lids so the humidity can be maintained higher. I do as well.

Pat

09/27/08  06:33am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area