Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Snake Snatcher   Dweezle   Leoman23   Dweezle   Jawsthemeswimming   Chezequerz   Jawsthemeswimming  
 Member  Message

Snake Snatcher
View Profile

Can i keep basilisks with other speceis

ive got a 3ftx2ftx3ft lxwxh viv. and im thinking, can i put a pair of basisks with a pair of water dragons in that dimension. ive seen zoos do it, but then again they have larger vivs
thanks

05/13/07  11:48am

Dweezle
View Profile

Message To: Snake Snatcher   In reference to Message Id: 1279905

you would need to get a bigger viv than that I have a pair of adult wds and a basilisk in one viv but it is double the size of yours

05/13/07  04:26pm

Leoman23
View Profile

Message To: Dweezle   In reference to Message Id: 1280203

no dont do it water dragons can eat the basilsik at full grown

05/14/07  03:09pm

Dweezle
View Profile

Message To: Leoman23   In reference to Message Id: 1281173

they grow to about the same size so unless you are going to put a baby in with adult wds they wont eat it

05/17/07  03:50pm

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: Dweezle   In reference to Message Id: 1284630

yea this wont work. the two animals are usually compatible so long as they have plenty of space. a 6ft long by 6ft high by 4ft wide would be a min for a pair of each.
however having 2 males of spieces that are so similar could end in death. males a re v. aggresive with eachother, even more so when they have a wife to protect! you will probably end up with some stressed out lizards which will soon stop feeding unless the cage is bigger than 6 by 4 by 6. hick a room would proably do.
basically in ur viv you can either get ap air of basilisks or a pair of wd. or a basialk and a wd of oposite sexes. but that would still be a risk. itís a lot easily to house them seperatly.

as for zoos i still think they are taking rediculus chances with what they do. all for our enjoyment? not worth it.
in london zoo they have a viv about 8ft high, 6ft long n 6ft wide. in it they had a green tree monitor and 6 snake neck turtles. the monitor is semi aquatic and turtles like to bite anything that goes in the water. no wonder the monitor was missing several toes andwould go in the water! pointless.

05/20/07  03:29pm

Chezequerz
View Profile

Message To: Jawsthemeswimming   In reference to Message Id: 1287944

what about dimentions for 1 WD and 1 basilisk?

07/30/07  03:14pm

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: Chezequerz   In reference to Message Id: 1380820

what about leaving them alone with their own species? two wd can be kept in a 3x3x2. two basilisks can be kept in a 3x3x2. a water and a basilisk can be housed in no less than a 6x3x3 min. they will both be highly stressed by each others presence and would be far easier to house them seperatly or why the hell dont you get two wd or two basilisks and try breeding them to reduce the amount of WC reptiles in the trade????

08/07/07  11:07am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area