Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Drew1234   Drew1234   Suicidepill   Jawsthemeswimming   Suicidepill   Jawsthemeswimming   Suicidepill   Drew1234   Suicidepill   Leoman23   Master Of Cold Blood   DAgreatBAMBINO   Grave   Izzardlover   Kypsalis   Izzardlover   Ell9   Active42   Monitor caretaker   Repticrazy11   Buiatti  
 Member  Message

Drew1234
View Profile

Help Deciding

I need help deciding between a Mountain Horned Dragon, Frilled Dragon, Or a Basilisk

Pictures may help.

04/11/07  10:24pm

Drew1234
View Profile

Message To: Drew1234   In reference to Message Id: 1242785

Help Deciding

Chinese Water Dragons Too

04/11/07  10:28pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Drew1234   In reference to Message Id: 1242793

Help Deciding

heres my basilisk

basilisk care

i dont know much about frilled dragons
most mountain horned dragons and chinese water dragons are wild caught
they all need really big cages

04/12/07  12:15am

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1242919

Help Deciding

well done for completely missleadin him suicidepill¨ water dragons are not all wild caught!

frilled dragons are gonna be the most expencive, cos they are australian they will be captive bred. ( itís illegal to export animals from austrialia. they have a lot of character and are very fun but quite expencive.

MHD are very cool but most will be wild caught but if you try you can find captive bred ones on kingsnake.com

water dragons tollerate handleing the best out of all 4. they require a cage the same size as a bailisk.
a lot are now captive bred, still a few wild caught ones but thats no reason not to buy one as the captives are only a little bit more expencive.
basilisks are very flightly and do not tollerate handleing as much.
personally id go with a water dragon cos they are the easiest to keep and become excellent pets.
followed but frilled, then basilisks and then MHD.
FYI suicidepill - there are a lot more wild caught basilisks than water dragons.

04/12/07  06:15am

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Jawsthemeswimming   In reference to Message Id: 1243068

Help Deciding

Link

click on finners reply

04/12/07  03:58pm

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1243567

Help Deciding

ok you said that all water dragons and MHD were wc. thats not true! a lot of cheaper water dragons are wc, thats like any lizard, but itís unfair to say that just becuase there are quite a lot of wc water dragons he shouldnt chose one over a basilisk or filled or MHD.

almost 100% of basilisks are wc. same with MHD. filled are all cb, and now most water dragond are. but like any reptile there will still be wild ones. all new reptiles should have a feacal test!

basically you said he should chose a basilisk over the other 3, but a basilisk is by far not the best choise. good reply to my argument though, a link to a vaugly related subject, well done.

04/12/07  04:40pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Jawsthemeswimming   In reference to Message Id: 1243624

Help Deciding

i didnt say some, i said most arewild caght, and i know most basilisks are wild caght
i didnt say he should choose a basilisk over the other ones, i told him about basilisks because thats the only one i have out of all of them

04/13/07  12:28am

Drew1234
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1244329

Help Deciding

Could i happily house a basilisk in a 70 gallon lizard lounge

04/13/07  08:17pm

Suicidepill
View Profile

Message To: Drew1234   In reference to Message Id: 1245261

Help Deciding

70 gallons is good

04/14/07  12:15am

Leoman23
View Profile

Message To: Suicidepill   In reference to Message Id: 1243567

Help Deciding

water dragons

04/14/07  02:46pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

Help Deciding

I have no experience in Mountain Horned Dragons or Frilled Dragons but I do have a Green Basilisk.
Along with a Chinese Water Dragon and Bearded Dragon.

Iím not entirely sure what you should pick because thats up to you. Frilled Dragons are vey impressive and I hope to obtain one of those one day.
While Basilisks in my opinion are very enchanting and beautiful.
Theyíre pretty tough to take care of though. Not just with all the usual requirements but mine never likes to be held so he keeps to himself.
Which is alright with me. =)

I donít know that much about MHDís, Iíve seen them before though.

Well, hereís some updated pics of Emerald.
Sometimes he appears to be more bluish than green, other times its just the camera and the lighting.

(Taken above the mesh top)

Thats not his water dish, just a lil one for him to get in under the light.
He loves to hang around it.
His actual soaking/bathing big dish is on the other side of the tank.

Haha, this picture amuses me. Emeralds a bit camera shy and he doesnít like me poking into his business. So he puffed up at me and gave me the meanest scowl he could muster.

Well, I guess thats enough pics. xD

04/17/07  11:14pm

DAgreatBAMBINO
View Profile

Message To: Master Of Cold Blood   In reference to Message Id: 1250803

Help Deciding

do all of the basilisks get like that with the tail and the head thing they look awsome.

05/05/07  03:13pm

Grave
View Profile

Message To: DAgreatBAMBINO   In reference to Message Id: 1270944

Help Deciding

nope just the Males have it

05/06/07  08:42pm

Izzardlover
View Profile

Help Deciding

OK suicide i understand were Ur coming from but please donít giveing out information u donít know everything about, now wd are beautiful and diverse, there not that easy to handle unless you have had them since a baby. now basilisk are pretty and very nice reptiles to keep but they are least likely to be handled unless some how you build a good relationship with them as juveniles, my brown basilisk wont let me touch him and if i get near hell bite. Also all the reptiles Ur looking at getting are going to need a large enclosure...Iím not trying to keep u from getting any of them because they are all magnificent creatures and definitely worth the time. I thing Ur best bet is mhd there are easy to handle not that expensive and they donít have to have a huge enclosure like the other ones...Iím gonna show you my wd enclosure and i think ull question before u get one of these. This one pic is of my brown basilisk. Old picture of when i got my cage

Here is my Female wd

Hope u enjoy, if i were u iíd go with a dragon because i am a huge fan of them and i think they are good to handle.

05/08/07  08:07pm

Kypsalis
View Profile

Message To: Izzardlover   In reference to Message Id: 1274936

Help Deciding

lzzardlover...Iíve got a brown basilisk myself...Iíve had her for about 4 months and am pretty sure he/she is young still. Iím wondering if yours is male or female...Iíve got no idea what mine is but there is a little crest like yours has. Hereís a pic.

Just to make sure I stay on topic...Iíve very much enjoyed having Crikey the Basilisk around. He/She is alot of fun to watch and is a beautiful creature. I donít have much experience with water dragons or Horned dragons but Iíve been lurking on SEVERAL forums and am very interested in getting a water dragon for Crikey to hang out with

05/20/07  07:09pm

Izzardlover
View Profile

Message To: Kypsalis   In reference to Message Id: 1288194

Help Deciding

i have my brown basilisk housed with my water dragon now...but i wouldnít reccomend it because the wd is very hostile towards my bb. Im about to move my bb to a 40-50 gallon...yeah.

05/22/07  12:32am

Ell9
View Profile

Message To: Izzardlover   In reference to Message Id: 1289825

Help Deciding

Frilly all the way, they are full of character and are an enjoyment to have whith you. Mine dislikes some people, when displaying on my sholder.

05/31/07  08:31am

Active42
View Profile

Message To: Ell9   In reference to Message Id: 1300111

Help Deciding

I have a brown basilisks and i just got him not to long ago. I highley recomond them they are fun to watch and they like being in high places. I have also had my fair share of dragons and yes they are very cool looking but they get varie big and require large envirnments and can be hostial to other lizards. If you have a large envirnment then they might be good for you but it is realy up to you xD.

06/06/07  01:49am

Monitor caretaker
View Profile

Message To: Active42   In reference to Message Id: 1307809

Help Deciding

well hereís a member of the mhd society i have 2 they are great most are wild caught in stores but over the Internet there captive bred they are insanely tame mine does everything Worth me even goes shopping has never once fled from me they need about a 30 and up tank arboreal and moving water from a bubbler or what ever works for you but if your not looking for something that likes a lot of attention and doesnít get very big basilisk is the way to go also mhds eat worms and slow moving things no crickets

06/11/07  04:37pm

Repticrazy11
View Profile

Message To: Monitor caretaker   In reference to Message Id: 1314279

Help Deciding

all four of those animals need really large tanks.
Water dragons need the biggest. Usually has to be custom.

i would suggest an a.capra mhd. i think they are the coolest looking and
i am probably getting one soon.
Although most are wild caught you CAN find some breeders.
They are very tame.

08/20/07  08:56am

Buiatti
View Profile

Message To: Repticrazy11   In reference to Message Id: 1410891

Help Deciding

Well, I have only experience with WDs, and I have a couple. Regarding the enclosure, for a female, if you have a tank like 1.20 X 0.5 X 0.5 meters, would be enought for her. You can also have a male in this space, but would be quite little for him. I have one tank like this for each of mine.

One thing that I can tell you about the WDs, is that they can become really friendly. I normally leave them free in the house when Iím there, and some times they come after me for some petting, and there is a fight of jealous between them in the time to sleep, because both like laying in my arm until they are fully sleep, and if I try to take them out before this time, I get quite injuried with their nails. When I open their tanks, they put themselves in position for me to take them, or to show me that they want to come to my arm/shoulder. And Draco likes laying in my head while Iím cooking. And when they are used, you can come and grab them without fear.

09/14/07  01:01pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area