Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Basilisk boy   Whenyourstrange   Dejaclu619   Basilisk boy   Waterdragonkid567   Whenyourstrange   Izzardlover   Master Of Cold Blood   Master Of Cold Blood   Master Of Cold Blood   Master Of Cold Blood   Master Of Cold Blood   Master Of Cold Blood   Master Of Cold Blood   Basilisk boy   Lumo   Basalik   R0nky   Redblood72   Dunz   Creties   ElekaElphaba   Lionid   Greenbasilisklover   Lizardboy99   Retile_expert  
 Member  Message

Basilisk boy
View Profile

OOO MY GOD PLEASE HELP ME BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY MY LIZARD PLEASE!!!!!!

i got my basilisk recently . I have no clue how to tame it!please dont get mad i got it all of a sudden. i got no time to study. i want to learn how to tame it for the benefit of the lizard. i want his life to be calm not always flightful and snappy. heres a pic of him trying to bite me please help!

it tried to bite my face so i held it away

09/30/06  12:07am

Whenyourstrange
View Profile

Message To: Basilisk boy   In reference to Message Id: 1003080

If you really care more about the benifit of the lizard, youíll try NOT to hold it

09/30/06  12:30am

Dejaclu619
View Profile

Message To: Whenyourstrange   In reference to Message Id: 1003101

??? thats some lame advice

10/01/06  03:20am

Basilisk boy
View Profile

Message To: Dejaclu619   In reference to Message Id: 1004431

yea

10/01/06  03:21am

Waterdragonkid567
View Profile

Message To: Basilisk boy   In reference to Message Id: 1004432

basilisks aree usualy not the kind of lizard to be tamed there more for show just enjoy them on the other side of the cage and only handlee if neccesary

10/01/06  02:19pm

Whenyourstrange
View Profile

Message To: Dejaclu619   In reference to Message Id: 1004431

its not lame advice, its good advice, y would you buy a basilisk if you want an animal you can hold all the time? Its better to just handle only when you need to

10/01/06  07:08pm

Izzardlover
View Profile

Message To: Whenyourstrange   In reference to Message Id: 1005303

ok yeah i know i just got one but i already know that they are really flighty reptiles, they do not take to being held well, now the best thing to do is just give him some time to adjust to his cage for about 1 or 2 weeks before you even think of coming in contact other than feedin, some pics of the cage would be nice these reptiles need alot of room and a large expanse of water. then once he gets settled in start stroking him gently along the sides and along his mouth and he might take to you well, i wouldnít reccomend these reptiles to be held and to only be held when needed thats just me i cant gaurantee the taming but i guess it is worth a shot

IL

10/01/06  08:05pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

Well, most Basilisks will not want to be held. Itís just in there nature, although there are exceptions to almost everything.

Iíve seen some tame Basilisks in this forum. Unfortunately, mine isnít one of them. :(

So, Iíve learned to live with it and appreciate him for who he is. Even if he is a meany. xD

I canít give any good tips on taming a Basilisk since thereís so few that can actually be handled enjoyably. When I do need to pick up Emerald I use thick gloves. Heís a big boy with sharp claws and a very nasty bite. So, with those gloves Iím safe. ^_^

Anyways, Iíve had my GB since November 28th 2004, and he is still the same. Although he knows me, and he knows that Iím not here to hurt him. He just doesnít want to be held, or have anything to do with taming.

By the way, you have a very cute Basilisk, it really reminds me of what Emerald looked like at that age. ^_^

10/03/06  07:49pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

Well, most Basilisks will not want to be held. Itís just in there nature, although there are exceptions to almost everything.

Iíve seen some tame Basilisks in this forum. Unfortunately, mine isnít one of them. :(

So, Iíve learned to live with it and appreciate him for who he is. Even if he is a meany. xD

I canít give any good tips on taming a Basilisk since thereís so few that can actually be handled enjoyably. When I do need to pick up Emerald I use thick gloves. Heís a big boy with sharp claws and a very nasty bite. So, with those gloves Iím safe. ^_^

Anyways, Iíve had my GB since November 28th 2004, and he is still the same. Although he knows me, and he knows that Iím not here to hurt him. He just doesnít want to be held, or have anything to do with taming.

By the way, you have a very cute Basilisk, it really reminds me of what Emerald looked like at that age. ^_^

10/03/06  07:49pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

10/03/06  07:50pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

Message To: Izzardlover   In reference to Message Id: 1005367

10/03/06  07:52pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

Message To: Izzardlover   In reference to Message Id: 1005367

10/03/06  07:52pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

10/03/06  07:55pm

Master Of Cold Blood
View Profile

10/03/06  07:59pm

Basilisk boy
View Profile

Message To: Master Of Cold Blood   In reference to Message Id: 1008362

UMMMM OK

10/06/06  02:41pm

Lumo
View Profile

Message To: Basilisk boy   In reference to Message Id: 1011870

Well if you havenít got rid of him already or the problem has sorted itself out, then you just have to get him out as much as possible (around once a day) and one day he will get it into his head that you arenít a threat. This may take months, possibly over a year, but it is worth it. Just wear gloves, and if you let him bite you then after a while he will learn that biting you wonít do anything, and he will stop.

10/12/06  12:37pm

Basalik
View Profile

he is a she let her get yust to u farst this may tack time i have 3 2 i can handel 1 is still i bet timed ps will bit if coold

10/12/06  05:43pm

R0nky
View Profile

Message To: Basalik   In reference to Message Id: 1019847

does it hurt alot to be bit?

10/19/06  11:42am

Redblood72
View Profile

you should of got a water dragon if you wanted something you could hold

11/01/06  03:49pm

Dunz
View Profile

hey i got 2 green basilisks a female n male n my male is crazy 2 one min hes nice then next min hes tryin 2 bite me n he thinks he can fly n the funniest he always slams his self off the glass.so help me 2

11/12/06  07:45am

Creties
View Profile

Message To: Waterdragonkid567   In reference to Message Id: 1004924

thats a lie my basilisk is awesome and nice.

12/03/06  02:23pm

ElekaElphaba
View Profile

I hold mine everyday and hand feed him with tweezers. He is still very young and small, and just like any other pet it takes time for the animal to get used to you. Try folding his arms in and wrapping your entire hand around him, but don’t squeeze him hard. That will show him that you are the boss.

11/27/10  12:32pm

Lionid
View Profile

Message To: ElekaElphaba   In reference to Message Id: 2189661

Fact is the holding the herps arm thing does work, I have an iguana that I have tamed using that trick. Another neat fact: Some lizards do not like to be held, some are ok with it, and some (usually the arboreal ones) love to be held. Unfortunately the beautiful basilisk is not one that is even ok with being held. If your basilisk is CBB it may take to holding after a year or so of your taking it out of the cage and handling for an hour every day. BUT As a responsible owner you should first consider the health and wellbeing of your herp. Facts are, the Basilisk will live a better life if you simply leave him be in his terrarium and watch through the glass, whereas a captive bred iguana will do much better with handling and a companion in his human. I’m not saying that it’s not ok to pull him out and pet him once in a while, or to show him off, I’m just saying it would be better to let him walk his own path, as he is not of a social nature.

12/26/10  03:15pm

Greenbasilisklover
View Profile

My basilisks are pretty tame but i hold them all the time I love them

02/02/11  07:32pm

Lizardboy99
View Profile

Message To: Greenbasilisklover   In reference to Message Id: 2202893

the way i tame my lizards is i hold them alot but if the try to bite or jump out of your hands turn it over but dont do it alot it may hurt it. try to hold it every day that u can

02/07/11  07:11pm

Retile_expert
View Profile

These are types of lizards that are more for show and not so much lovey dovey like the bearded dragons. If you want to attempt to tame it tho you would start out with putting your hand in the cage and leaving it in the cage without stressing the lizard. Then after he gets use to your hand you can try hand feeding him then after a while he may or may not allow you to hold him. Do not think this is a one week thing this can take weeks or even months for him to get use to your hand! With my basilisk thats 9months old took me 3months for it to allow me to hold him and all that with him. Now you also got to know that your lizard may never allow you to hold it. It all depends on the lizard itself. Hope this helps let me know how the progress goes after a while.

02/15/11  12:24am

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area