Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Active nights   Thesnakemeister   N1c0l3  

Member  Message

Active nights
View Profile

Help? First time snake owner

So I have a couple issues with my snake. He’s a norm ball and I’ve had him since September. He’s a pretty good eater. I got him young, not sure how old though. But it’s december, I’ve done my research and he seems like a healthy snake but I’m worried about the following things: 1. He hasn’t shed at all. He seems to have gotten bigger, I have soaked him, his humidity stays between 50-70% and he has been eating pinkies every 5-7 days, I just started feeding him two instead of one recently. 2. He doesn’t go in his hides, I have a cool and a warm hide. Warm has basking lamp and heat mat, temps with the heat may alone stay at mid 70’s and with the bulb go to mid 80’s. He just really likes to sit on top of the half log huts. Never goes in them though, he is on like a reptile carpet which I thought would be fine because so many people use paper towels but maybe not? And finally 3. I haven’t seen him poop in like two weeks, maybe this is a feeding issue, or maybe he is blocked up. I tried the soak like I said for the shed and pooping but nothing happened.

Sorry I know this is a dense post but I really appreciate any advice or help thanks everyone.

12/19/17  09:02pm

Thesnakemeister
View Profile

Message To: Active nights   In reference to Message Id: 2321663

First of all he should have substrate, secondly by the sound of it your tank is WAAAAY too big. Ball pythons are more comfortable in a smaller environment, chances are his bowel and shed issues are due to stress. If nothing changes in a week or two with the defacation you should see a vet.

01/05/18  12:24am

N1c0l3
View Profile

Message To: Active nights   In reference to Message Id: 2321663

okay first how are you measuring your temps i first suggest getting a temp gun they are very handy and accurate and i had the same problems with my ball too when i first got him what kind of hide does he have? it might be he doesnt feel secure enough and he sits on top if its a log hide... get a better hide get a hide on the warm and cold side identical hides with one entance it could also that the temps in the warm side is to hot which may likely be the case get better substate i recommend reptibark not messy easy to clean youre temps on the warm side should be at around 87-89 remember they are cold blooded what feels warm to us feels hot to them 70’s is to low for a warm side and the bottom inside glass should be at around 86-90 at most and have the substrate thin enough so that the heat can penerate though it can be thin on the warm side and thicc everywhere else have clutter everywhere! it makes them fell safe.

as for shedding you will see signs their colors dull and the eyes get a cloudy blue extremely noticeable also get a scale any scale it can be a kitchen one it has to measure grams and weigh your snakes it will tell you the right amount to feed

dont worry to much BP are hardy snakes and if your that worried.... vet pm me for any questions

02/07/18  01:42am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area