Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MightyOberon   Columbia Rossi   Full Tilt Reptiles  

Member  Message

MightyOberon
View Profile

Just adopted a stressed out ball python! Help!

I adopted a 17 year old ball python yesterday and I have some concerns with her enclosure. For one, it is filthy. However, she is obviously stressed with the move-being squirrely around the cage, hissing at nothing etc. She also shed (in flakes I’m guessing due to low humidity levels) and still has some stuck to her. I haven’t tried to touch her or change anything else due to this behavior, but I also don’t want her getting sick. I raised my cornsake from a baby so I never had a problem with him needing a clean directly after a shed because I always kept it up.

So should I take her out of her enclosure to clean it even though she’s freaked out?

Also, her tank is 36 inches long, 18 deep and 12 wide. I look at her (36 inches at 17 years old...normal??) and it just seems too small to me, but I know every snake is different and while my cornsake loves to cruise and dig around in the dirt, she may not fully appreciate or even be offput by any extra space. I’m willing to buy a larger tank if she’ll need it and enjoy it, but I’d rather not incur that expense if she wouldn’t like it.

So for the time being, I have the tank covered in a sheet so she can grow accustomed to the sounds of a busy family home before having to deal with us looking at her etc. She reportedly is very friendly so I’m not worried about her coming around socially, I just want to make sure I take the necessary steps to prolong her life and help her thrive. Thanks so much!

03/26/17  05:00am

Columbia Rossi
View Profile

Message To: MightyOberon   In reference to Message Id: 2320509

First off clean tank out while doing so give her a good soak in warm water for twenty mins to be shedding that way something isn’t write with set up low humidity heat lamp will also do that what is heat source ? What are your temps?

05/28/17  02:28pm

Full Tilt Reptiles
View Profile

Message To: MightyOberon   In reference to Message Id: 2320509

Come watch some videos
We will have a videos for stressed out animals !
https://youtu.be/nYfqDN6boQk

08/29/17  09:31am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area