Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Newsnek   Solitary Pilot   Newsnek   Newsnek  

Member  Message

Newsnek
View Profile

Unexperienced reptile owner with new snake, under fed from pet store! :(

They fed her every Tuesday, small mice. Was in a small tank probably not even a 20 gal now she is in a 40 gal. Understand bigger is not better from what I’ve read but think she’ll be happier in her new home away from screaming children and hundreds of puppies. They would let kids handle her and unravel her while she was balled :( She is not totally round, slightly boxy or triangular so that made me think she was definitely under fed. She is 2-3 years of age, they couldnt give me an exact age. For a 2 year old ball python I would except her to be quite a bit fatter. She is only about 4-5 inches in perimeter. It is very disheartening to think that she could have been starved for almost her entire life(tears in my eyes)!! Or at least the 3 months she spent at this pet store. If what I think is true it may have stunted her growth, anyone know if that happens?

Today(monday) I bought some frozen large mice, thawed one in a glass of warm water until it was warm and squishy then put it in her terrarium. An hour or so passed and she had not even come to check it out, it was approximately 9:30 this evening when i gave her supper. Knowing that the hide shouldn’t be ripped off the snake, I took it off very gently, right away noticed she had expanded in preparation for her meal! :) The lady at Pet Smart said to leave the mouse in her tank, and if it was there in the morning to throw it out... Anyways, she was not interested until I picked it up with a surgical tool I have (not buying tongs from a pet store if I don’t need to), was a bit worried since they’re not very long only about 6". She started sniffing (with her tongue) then I put the mouse down and right away it seemed she lost interest. Picked it up again and in less than a minute she striked! Very happy moment! Did I rush her by taking her hide off? Note she ate a day earlier than they would normally feed her.

How gradually should I increase her food portions? From what I’ve read she should be eating rats by now!! Should i feed her in another 4-5 days? How do I help her feel more comfortable? Does anyone know what happens if you take a snake out too early after bringing them home?

I have let her come out once already, last night; about 3 days and a bit after bringing her home. Hoping that didn’t stress her out too much as she was out for about half an hour. I know that was a bit early to let her out but she seemed pretty comfortable and ready for a bit of an adventure! I’ve been very excited but know to keep my distance as it will stress her out if I’m constantly checking out her tank. Anyone know how often it is okay to go look at them? I wouldn’t want someone watching me eat so I’m not going back in her room. Looking forward to some great tips and advice, thank you!

01/23/17  11:23pm

Solitary Pilot
View Profile

Message To: Newsnek   In reference to Message Id: 2320163

For starts I wouldn’t be placing the mouse down and simply leaving it. You to remember the snake is in a totally new place and has little to no understandings of it surroundings at the moment. It’s good you took the hide off as she probably wouldn’t have even come out otherwise, so continue doing that for a few more weeks. But most importantly is you need to get her interest in the food. As you stated, she doesn’t care at all if you just set it down, but when you pick it up it catches her attention. Whenever you feed her, get the mouse by the tail and just give it a bit of movement, dangling it right in front of her face. Don’t get too close, give her just a little space so she has to move towards it, and keep it moving just a little this entire time. The point of this is so she thinks the mouse is still alive, and she will think shes actually hunting it. Keep it moving until she striked, and then after shes got it she’ll probably grab it out of the tweezers. If you really want to go the extra step, lightly grab whatever area of the mouse you can and just shake it lightly. You should see her tighten around it even more, and this is a good thing as again it makes her believe she is hunting and killing a real, live mouse. After a few feedings you should see her getting more and more comfortable, and after some time you can even try dangling the mouse outside of her hide and seeing if she will come out to get it(I’ve had my ball for around 4 or 5 months now and she will happily poke her head out as soon as she smells the mouse). If you have any other questions I’ll tr to answer them best I can!

02/04/17  01:08pm

Newsnek
View Profile

Message To: Solitary Pilot   In reference to Message Id: 2320263

Thank you for your response. Tonight was her fifth feeding since coming home, the third she did not take. Tonight fed her two large mice, she took the first one and has yet to take the second one. She has taken them with only leaving them in her tank, still take her hide off. She was very hungry, when I took it off she struck within seconds. Right now she’s kinda laying on the other mouse, will have to wait and see if she takes it. She’s in the office right now and after a couple days (so she has time to digest) I will have to move her to my room. Hoping that doesn’t stress her out too much. Where she came from she was handled a lot and in a much more stressful environment, think she is more comfortable now.. Last week she shed and pooped in the same day, which was very exciting!! As weird as that sounds, it let me know that she is getting comfortable. A month prior to bringing her home her eyes were foggy, think she was trying to shed but she never did at the pet store. Don’t think they monitored the humidity for her, where I live is extremely dry, mountainous region. She was flaking off skin quite a bit and I boost the humidity, however she has a little patch of skin on her eye. I do have another question, do you wash your snakes? If so, how and do you use soap or just soak them? Thanks again! :)

02/07/17  09:59pm

Newsnek
View Profile

Message To: Solitary Pilot   In reference to Message Id: 2320263

Update:

She ate both mice! Very happy, thinking 2 mice will be good enough once a week? Every 5 days that might be too much.. Thoughts?

02/07/17  10:10pm

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area