Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bramblepaw   ARENEPEZ   Bramblepaw   ARENEPEZ   NicC  

Member  Message

Bramblepaw
View Profile

Baby ball making clicking noise and opening mouth after rough shed.

So I just got my baby ball about 2-3 weeks ago and she’s been really healthy! Eats like a pig, and has been acting completely normal up until just yesterday when she had finished shedding. I’ve kept the humidity at 40-50% and moved it up to closer to 60-70% as soon as i noticed she was going into shed, Yet her shed came off in lots of big and small pieces. But, the shed on her head doesn’t look like it fully came off. As I was inspecting her head I heard her making a clicking noise every now and then, along with her opening her mouth a good amount. I’m really worried it could be an RI as that’s what it points to.

So could this be a shedding problem and not an RI? What are your guy’s opinions on this problem?
Thanks to anyone who can help in advance, as I really don’t have the money to bring her to a vet..

Here’s a picture of her head.

11/01/16  05:52pm

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

Message To: Bramblepaw   In reference to Message Id: 2319723

Hi
I have over 15 years experience with snakes from colubrids to balls to boas. Also other reptiles and you may not like what I’m going to say. First off you should maintain humidity levels closer to the 60% and bump to 80% when in shed. You can use a humid hide as well which is a hide over or under depending on your heat source with moss to help with shed. Second I can clearly see in the picture that yes it has retained its shed not only on the head but the nose and clearly the eye caps. So you need to soak her/him in warm water and what I do is use cotton either ball or swab but I prefer swab for the eye caps and gently rub the swab starting at the nose tip and go towards the back of the head. It’s the natural direction and makes it easier and the snake may fight you on it as balls don’t like their head touched so you may have to gently hold it behind the head so it will cooperate. If after the shed comes off and you still hear clicking noises then take him to the vet. The reason I’m saying wait is I’ve had a snake have retained shed like that and the clicking and mouth gaping was due to the she stuck on his nostrils. Third as I said if the shed doesn’t solve your problem it’s time for the vet if you don’t have the money I’m going to say you shouldn’t have a pet. All pets need vets from time to time and reptiles are considered exotic so it can mean higher costs. So to answer your question yes it could be a shed issue and not necessarily a RI. Also what size tank is she in, what are the temps, what type of water bowl do you have for her is it big enough for her to soak in, and what type of bedding are you using? I’m just trying to find out more info to help you since humidity is not the only factor it’s the main one but some times it can be a mixture of things that can cause the shed issue.

11/02/16  12:31am

Bramblepaw
View Profile

Message To: ARENEPEZ   In reference to Message Id: 2319725

She’s currently in about a 30-quart rub with newspaper, 2 hides, Along with a water bowl plenty big enough for her to soak in. Temperatures are 80° ambient with a 90° hot spot.

11/02/16  09:08am

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

Message To: Bramblepaw   In reference to Message Id: 2319726

Ok your hot spot is good anywhere from 90-95* is perfect. Day ambient temps are good as well 80-85* night temps 75-80* so no problems there. Newspaper is not ideal as substrate you want things like cypress mulch or eco earth. The cypress is best because it’s made to stay wet without growing bacteria which will keep humidity in the perfect rang and prevent problems with mold and bacteria. Plus newspapers are made with inks that may harm her if it gets wet and gets on her scales or gets wet and drys under the heat it will release toxic vapors into the air which she will breath in I mean just me smelling newspapers I can smell the ink. If you want similar substrate paper towels is what you want. Either way try to keep humidity as close to 60% as you can and bump it to 80% while in shed. Also try soaking her in warm water and using a cotton ball or swab and try to gently remove the shed on her head like I was saying last night.

11/02/16  12:06pm

NicC
View Profile

Message To: Bramblepaw   In reference to Message Id: 2319723

I had to take my Ball to the vet at an early age it cost me about 50$ with a appt. The vet clarified that she had a URI "Upper Respiratory Infection" death sentence if not treated since they only have 1 lung. Thankfully i took her as soon as it started fearing the worse and the vet actually gave her a Vapor Vicks treatment for a couple of hrs haha. Shes fine now and only yawns when I touch her head "I think she likes head rubs".

12/08/16  10:07am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area