Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Aremka2   Aremka2   Takahiro111   19kilobby  

Member  Message

Aremka2
View Profile

Ball Python hasn’t Shed or Eaten in a while, Winter fasting?

I’ve had my ball python for around 8 months and never had problems feeding him or shedding. He’s around 2’5" long and I feed him 1 small mouse every 7 days. It’s not exactly the same size as his girth but its pretty close, just a tad smaller. His heat in his cage seems to be fine, low to mid 90’s basking and low to mid 80’s on the cool side during the day, and in the upper 70’s at night. I know that his humidity has been low because of the winter, so I’ve recently bought a fogger that is being shipped so I plan to get that up ASAP. Anyways, the past 3 feedings that I’ve tried, he doesn’t seem interested, he’ll smell the mouse at first but then just ignores it. I do frozen thawed mice and i make sure to thaw the mouse and then get it nice and warm before I offer it. Also he has not shed in 13 weeks, his eyes never got glossy, his stomach hasn’t turned pink, at first I thought it was the humidity so I soaked him in warm water for a while and tried to keep the humidity up, but still no signs of shedding. I do not have a scale so I do not know how much he weigh’s or if he is losing weight, but he doesn’t look like it (I also bought a scale which is being shipped to me). I heard that some ball pythons fast during the winter months and because they aren’t eating that they aren’t growing/shedding as much. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what I could do or potential problems. He’s my first snake and I believe that I’m doing everything right, I just want him to be okay. Thanks in advanced!

02/06/16  09:30pm

Aremka2
View Profile

Message To: Aremka2   In reference to Message Id: 2316949

I tried feeding him tonight and he took and ate a small mouse! so that’s great! Typically i feed him in a separate container, but I tried in his cage today and he took it, so I’m wondering perhaps he might feel vulnerable/stressed being moved before he eats. I’m going to try to feed him ever 5 days just because the mice probably are a tad small, but i bought a bag of 100 on sale so i don’t wanna waste em! But still no sign of shedding, so I still need advice on that.

02/06/16  10:07pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Aremka2   In reference to Message Id: 2316949

All my heavy bodied snakes are fasting for the winter, my ball python hasn’t eaten since 1-5-16 but he still got his weight. If your bp is healthy,care is correct and he’s not losing too much weight to the point you see bones its okay this is totally normal in bps. Just keep offering food every 7-10 days.

02/06/16  10:07pm

19kilobby
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316952

I’d switch to rats as soon as you can otherwise your gonna have a hard time when he gets older.

02/09/16  05:06pm

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area