Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Certified1211   Takahiro111   Errorpale   Takahiro111   Errorpale   Takahiro111   Haven22   Takahiro111   Haven22   Takahiro111   Kpear   Newsnek   Full Tilt Reptiles  

Member  Message

Certified1211
View Profile

Do i need to put heat lamp for my ball python tank?

i have a 40 gallon tank for my ball python and i was wondering if i need a heat light? i have a heat mat but no light I’m having trouble keeping humidity levels up he is shedding in pieces now that i got bigger tank. i mist it too what can i do?

01/25/16  10:33pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Certified1211   In reference to Message Id: 2316716

I use a heat lamp because I like the idea that heat comes from above(sun) creating basking spots and also heating up substrate and have a fear a heat mat will cause a fire. I use a fogger/mister for humidity and it stays 60-70%. If your bp is shedding in pieces fill some water it a container and put the lid over and put a rock or something heavy in their also keep a close eye to prevent drowning 15min to 30min should work, you can assist him but do it carefully, although I rarely have reptile shed problems the container method work all the time. If your temps are perfect you don’t need a heat bulb but if you want to view your snake you can get a daytime bulb or a low watt heat bulb. Use warm water not cold/room temp or hot

01/26/16  02:31am

Errorpale
View Profile

I recommend getting a tub instead of a tank. I had the same problems. Heat lamps should never be used for snakes. Tubs have no cons. They hold humidity and heat better. They are so much easier to maintain. A lot of people don’t like tubs but snakes become so much healthier in them. I had a tank nightmare and then i switched to a tub and my snake is thriving now.
Do NOTTT get a bigger tank. That probably made it so much worse. BP’s should not have big tanks. They like smaller are. SHe/he is probably really stressed out. Please consider getting a tub.. It will help you so much. You will be amazed.
If you like tanks i suggest getting a smaller tank and changing the substrate to repti-chip or something that holds a lot of moisture (WATCH OUT FOR SCALE ROT THOUGH) Also, do not use a light unless it’s a ceramic heat emitter. Lights can hurt their eyes and they need dark at night.
I hope I help.

03/17/16  05:29pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Errorpale   In reference to Message Id: 2317471

I used lights for 10+ years with no problems but I switched from tubs because I had several problems so I use custom built cages that has heat panels. I housed snakes in tanks for quarantine reasons but don’t like it for mid-high humidity reptiles. Tubs can have some cons to it.

03/17/16  08:25pm

Errorpale
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317473

I guess tubs don’t work for some people. I get that. I was saying i see no cons in them. The only con i can come up with is not being able to see your snake as well.

I personally don’t like lights because i’ve been told by very good breeders that all you should need is a uth. I had a light at first and it sucked up my humidity. Then i switched to a tub. Scrapped the light and put in a uth and now everything is spot on and maybe it could work for someone else like that. Every snake deserves to be extremely healthy and live with the right husbandry. That is why i recommended it.(:

03/18/16  07:12am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Errorpale   In reference to Message Id: 2317478

I understand your point which was extremely helpful I’m thinking about getting uth but trying to figure out how I’m gonna use it in custom built cages without them getting burnt that’s why I used lights and heat panels.

03/18/16  07:17pm

Haven22
View Profile

Yes, you need a heat lamp. Ball pythons thrive best in coconut fiber bedding that has been moistened (soaked, then squeezed to wring out excess water) and that is warmed by the heat lamp. The moisture promotes full shedding and the heat and moisture together promote good digestion. Professionals I speak to don’t recommend heat pads unless you can properly cover them so that when the snake curls stop them, they won’t accidentally burn themselves. I have two snakes and they eat, poop, and shed wonderfully.

03/26/16  08:16pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Haven22   In reference to Message Id: 2317586

Never put your bp on really moist substrate or even that brick type were you gotta soak, then squeeze out that’s gonna lead to scale rot. Bps do good on 100% cypress mulch

03/26/16  10:49pm

Haven22
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317588

Not according to the professionals I’ve spoken to. They’ve been in business 35+ years. Plus, my bp has successfully shed several times with the coconut fiber substrate and her scales are beautiful. I’m sure cypress mulch is good, too, of course. Got any info on Flapneck chameleons?

03/28/16  09:26pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Haven22   In reference to Message Id: 2317627

I only have veild chams I don’t know about flap neck chams. I used that kind of substrate once for my boas and pythons and some of them had scale rot but I caught it while it was home treatable. Look on other forum sites you’ll see but I only give humid hides but if your not facing problems your lucky although not many people use that on snakes. I on the other hand like to prevent unnecessary things I know is preventable, I’m not a professional but highly experienced.

03/29/16  07:31pm

Kpear
View Profile

No, use belly heat. Lamps can burn them much easier.

04/16/16  06:06pm

Newsnek
View Profile

Everyone used different lighting/hearing for their snake homes. I have a 40 gal too abd yse a uth (heat pad underneath tank) and a 40v red nightlight. If the heat drops I use my 60v bulb. The top of the tank is always covered, not fully obviously to allow some air flow. I have a couple shallow water dishes along with her main soaking dish to create a humid climate and it fluctuates between 50-70 depending on how much I have the top covered and if her light is above her water. With terrariums not built specifically for ball pythons it can be difficult to keep everything at the desired level. Whatever you do, if you start changing things make sure it is when you’re home and able to check and make sure you’re not over/under heating, over/under humidifying your snake.

Keep in mind ball pythons come from Central Western Africa. In the wild the temperature and climate is never the same so it shouldn’t bother your snake too much when you are figuring out what works best!

01/24/17  07:38am

Full Tilt Reptiles
View Profile

Come check out video on our YouTube channel
I will have a full set up video there !

08/29/17  09:32am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area