Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Takahiro111   Takahiro111   MissPrestigious   Takahiro111   MissPrestigious   Takahiro111   Herpetophobiak   Takahiro111   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Takahiro111
View Profile

Refuse rats

My adult cinnamon is a little over 3’ and he’s been eating medium rats fine but then outta no where refuse to eat them so I tried the following week with another refusal(2 weeks) then the week after I tried live mice and he ate it, I fed 2x last week 2 days apart and he ate. I know they have feeding issues but I’m not sure if he’s getting the right nutrition. He’s not stressed because I barely bother him, he temps 90-95 on the hot end, 75ish on the cool and ambient room temps in the low 80s which is also the night temps. Humidity is always 60-70% and in a cage with the same dimension as a 20gal tank...criticize me if you want but this snake is weird as heck, he doesn’t like big cages. I’ve spent so much money building 2 cages which dimension was the same as a 30,40gal tank and he was beyond stress, he refused food for a month and ended up getting sick. How can I trick him back on rats I’ve tried everything except feeding live rats. He’s really healthy overall clean parasite exam and everything. Any help appreciated!

01/10/16  09:27pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316499

Refuse rats

Sorry meant to say his basking spots is 90-94 the hot side is in the high 80s

01/11/16  12:11am

MissPrestigious
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316500

Refuse rats

Have you tried live feeding yet?

01/12/16  02:57pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: MissPrestigious   In reference to Message Id: 2316528

Refuse rats

I tried live mice and he ate it but not the rats. I don’t live feed because when my snakes strikes its really hard to help them avoid getting bit but usually isn’t a huge problem but he did have a minor nip once on his neck that healed perfectly with no scarring. I might get a live rat and at least hurt it enough where he’s alive but can’t fight back(hate doing this)

01/12/16  05:29pm

MissPrestigious
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316530

Refuse rats

My BP wasted no time ending the life of her last meal, lol. She struck with enough force to avoid getting injured, I guess? A few nips should be really nothing to worry about, as snakes in the wild get fucked up a lot more and still stand tall.

I’d suggest feeding mice, then, live fed. What I do when feeding is drop the rat in the tank with my BP (don’t touch it or play with it beforehand, because if your snake smells you on the rat/mouse, it might not eat it.), and if my snake is uninterested at the time or doesn’t strike within 5 minutes, I take the rat out and try again the next day. I would NEVER advise to leave a live rat in the tank until your snake eats, as it could potentially harm them.

I prefer to live feed (even though it breaks my heart) because that’s what snakes naturally do in the wild, and I’m sure it tastes way better, fills them up more, and makes them generally happier.

01/19/16  06:33pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: MissPrestigious   In reference to Message Id: 2316625

Refuse rats

I tried mice live/pre killed/frozen thawed and rats the same way. I thought he was fasting but he was getting ready to go in shed, he’s in the mid process of it but thanks for the help and info I’ve learned more great advice!! Its endless knowledge learning about such animals lol. But he is picky switching from med rats to small or rats to mice whether it f/t or live so I have to rack up on different sizes....good thing there’s a cheap site like rodentpro

01/20/16  12:45am

Herpetophobiak
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316499

Refuse rats

Perhaps the rats you are buying smell fowl to the snake. It is all about the aroma, after all!

01/21/16  02:15pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Herpetophobiak   In reference to Message Id: 2316657

Refuse rats

None of my lizards/snakes never had a problem with the smell of mice,rats,rabbits or birds because they’ll just take it unless they fast during breeding and winter seasons. But thanks for the help maybe I’ll try scenting it with something else if they refuse.

01/21/16  04:38pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316660

Refuse rats

Done shedding and still no luck…..guess he’s fasting too not to surprised my burm hasn’t eaten since October and red tail since December 25. Tegus brumating but everyone else is good.

01/23/16  01:45am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area