Ball Python Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Arii   Takahiro111   Arii   Takahiro111   Errorpale  

Member  Message

Arii
View Profile

Few questions

I got my bp a few weeks ago and just got his glass tank yesterday. So I would like to get some feedback to find out if I’ve set him up properly. I have a 40 gallon tank with an under tank heat pad and light on top. Right now the heated side is reading about 82 f and not sure about the cooler side...it has no lights and no heat pad. I have a dish of water on the cool side, a piece of wood in the middle so half in the warm half in the cool part. 1 plastic hide that is under the light and hopefully by the end of the week I will have a second hide for the cooler side. I’m using cypress stuff for substrate and its kinda damp....any advice on what I’m doing wrong or if this sounds OK would be awesome!

04/02/15  04:38pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Arii   In reference to Message Id: 2312998

Few questions

I’ve seen myself that aspen bedding works best for ball pythons then a cypress substrate and keeping a snake on damp/wet substrate will lead to scale rot and infection. Get a digital theremeter for the hot and cool side ot get a temp gun. How are you measuring humidity?

04/02/15  05:32pm

Arii
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2313000

Few questions

I don’t know where I can get a barometer... That’s why I got the substrate wet...trying to create humidity. But scale rot? Really? How do I keep it humid without keeping the substrate wet?

04/02/15  09:23pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Arii   In reference to Message Id: 2313002

Few questions

To get a digital theremometer and humidity gauge(digital too) go online if they don’t sell at your local petstore...I got all of mine from wag.com and to keep the humidity up can be hard in a tank so you’ll need to mist it with a spray bottle as needed or get a humidifer. I use cypress mulch for all my reptiles except the bp and I’ll just lightly spray it when the humidifers are off. It wouldn’t make any sense trying to keep up the humidity if you can’t read it brcause too much can lead to infection(bacterial,fungal),RI while too little can lead to stuck shed and other problems. Most people recommend tubs but I have mine in a custom built cage.

04/02/15  09:53pm

Errorpale
View Profile

Message To: Arii   In reference to Message Id: 2312998

Few questions

Hello! well first... You should get a smaller enclosure.. if not you can clutter it up and cover 3 of the sides. Big spaces stress them out. I hope you have a thermostat on that heat pad.. those things can cause some serious burns.
Second, the heated side should always be at 90f. The cool side should be 80-85f. I recommend aspen because if your substrate is damp it could cause scale rot.

03/18/16  07:30am

Back to Ball Python Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area