Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anouncements-News Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anouncements-News Forum

Michael88   Reptile_dan   Apc61692   Researchcenter:Jewel  
 Member  Message

Michael88
View Profile

Sad sad day, the crocodile hunter had died

Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the Crocodile Hunter, was killed today by a stingray barb during a diving expedition.

Irwin, 44, was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in north-eastern Queesland state when the accident occurred, Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

Irwin was stung about 11am (0200BST) on Batt Reef, off the remote resort town of Port Douglas.

Crew members aboard Irwin’s boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered cardio pulmonary resuscitation techniques as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter.

Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead at about noon, the statement said.

He died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its web site.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," said John Stainton, Irwin’s friend and producer.

"He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!"

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program, Crocodile Hunter, which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has been broadcast around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

The public image was dented in 2004 when Irwin triggered an uproar by holding his baby in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to his son, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

He is survived by his American wife Terri Irwin, from Oregon, who was Terri Raines before they married in 1992, their daughter Bindi Sue, eight, and son Bob, who will turn three in December.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Irwin for his work in promoting Australia through projects such as the "G’Day LA" tourism and trade promotion in Los Angeles in January.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he’d done to promote Australia overseas," Downer’s spokesman Tony Parkinson said.

Irwin’s death was later confirmed by police in Brisbane"

This is truely a sad day for all herp lovers, the man himself who got me into this in the first place, the man i watched sense i was 12, its incredibly sad that this has happended, and i just somehow can’t make myself believe that he has actually died.

Well my friend you will be missed although we never met i feel like i have know you for ages teaching almost everything i know about all animals herps and otherwise. and making me better apreciate these wonderfull creatures ,

You will be missed by me by the herp community, by the world, tonight me and my carpet python(i’m sure you will recognise him) and give a nod and a thank you, thanks for the education and the whisdom. god speed.

09/04/06  04:10am

Reptile_dan
View Profile

Message To: Michael88   In reference to Message Id: 970421

Very Sad Day, My thought and Condolences are sent out to the Irwin family & all his dedicated team at Australian zoo.

May he rest in peace

09/04/06  05:17am

Apc61692
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_dan   In reference to Message Id: 970438

I heard this on the news this morning, and I was crushed. My thoughts go to his family and the workers at the Australian zoo. This is a truly a sad day for everyone who was a fan, friend, or family member of this wonderful man.

09/04/06  01:24pm

Researchcenter:Jewel
View Profile

Message To: Michael88   In reference to Message Id: 970421

i was almost ready to go to a trip there to the zoo, but right before i went, he was dead. may he r.i.p. i still went to see his family and funeral. he died the day my tree frog did. the worst day ever!

12/02/06  02:30pm

Back to Anouncements-News Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area