Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anouncements-News Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anouncements-News Forum

Rubberduckie   Chishower   Orc Bow Man   Orc Bow Man   Greg8991   GEORGE7590   Repticfan1389   Joe smoe111  
 Member  Message

Rubberduckie
View Profile

Those living in Florida, please read...

I haven’t been on here in awhile..but I read an article in the herald-tribune today ( Port Charlotte, Englewood, Sarasota, etc) that disgusted me.... for anyone living in this area of Florida, or even those who are not..please read this article...if it bothers you as much as it does me.. I ask you to please send the editor of the paper a letter telling them your feelings. Or let me know of any other ways to go about putting an end to such a horrible situation...people can not get away with this. I thank you for your time... and please respond and let me know what you think.

iguanas

01/13/06  03:50am

Chishower
View Profile

Message To: Rubberduckie   In reference to Message Id: 603855

Its bad, but the fact is they dont belong and they need to go. I live in florida, and we have more exotic species than natives running around down here. Its a mess.

02/27/06  11:58pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Chishower   In reference to Message Id: 670594

Invasive species are a problem for the enviroment. They are threatening native endangered herp populations. I care about the enviroment as a whole not a few iguanas. I love reptiles but in my opinion invasive species of reptile should be found good homes or euthanized they should not be allowed to reproduce.

04/28/06  12:42am

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Chishower   In reference to Message Id: 670594

Invasive species are a problem for the enviroment. They are threatening native endangered herp populations. I care about the enviroment as a whole not a few iguanas. I love reptiles but in my opinion invasive species of reptile should be found good homes or euthanized they should not be allowed to reproduce.

This goes for all invasive species not just reptiles.

04/28/06  12:42am

Greg8991
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 761895

Agreed, just look at what the cane toads in Australia have done. Though, its still sad that they are killing them.

07/17/06  09:43pm

GEORGE7590
View Profile

Message To: Rubberduckie   In reference to Message Id: 603855

Sorry to disagree with you, but the spiny-tail iguana is an invasive species and needs to be eliminated. They are very prolific, and if something is not done to control them they will eat everything on the island. I am not interested in allowing these lizards to destroy other egg-laying animals, including snakes, tortoises, sea turtles, and other lizards, along with numerous plants.

These guys are prolific. I have seen hundreds of them on Boca Grande. They are all over the place. There are too many of them. If nothing is done and Nature is allowed to “takes its course,” the spiny-tail will overwhelm the island’s ecosystem. Now they’re on the mainland.

When are we going to put our “compassion” aside and deal with a potential environmental disaster? If we wait too long, these lizards will destroy much of the other wildlife on the island. We’ll only know their job is done when we start to see dead iguanas that starved to death when they depleted the food supply.

We already have a problem with Burmese pythons in the Everglades, green iguanas are starting to run all over southeast Florida, and there are Nile monitors roaming Sanibel and other areas of the southwest coast. In the case of the Nile monitor, its only “natural” predators are large alligators, and we’re busy eliminating them (any gator over four feet long can be captured and euthanized). I don’t live on the west coast of Florida, but I dread the thought of having a large population of six-foot Nile monitors roaming the area. That could be devastating to sea turtle nests, birds, and almost everything else. The small populations of indigo snakes, diamondbacks, gopher tortoises, and innumerable birds and other animals will surely be even more depleted if the monitors continue to roam.

Enough is enough.

09/04/06  02:43pm

Repticfan1389
View Profile

Message To: GEORGE7590   In reference to Message Id: 970967

Its about friggin time these guys are eating the sea turtle and gopher torts eggs they are a huge problem its really the only way to get rid of them. u cant go out and just catch them its nearly impossable i have only been able to catch them with a fishing pole.

09/05/06  06:17pm

Joe smoe111
View Profile

Message To: Repticfan1389   In reference to Message Id: 972548

you are all horible people! i meen its one thing to have to kill them but you dont have to be so happy about it would if you killed other people and had to fase the needle would the person who has to kill you be all happy and say its about time.

09/26/07  04:39pm

Back to Anouncements-News Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area