Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anouncements-News Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anouncements-News Forum

GA_Ball_Pythons   GA_Ball_Pythons   GA_Ball_Pythons   GA_Ball_Pythons   Snosrap  
 Member  Message

GA_Ball_Pythons
View Profile

HR 669 - TIME IS RUNNING OUT ACT NOW

A few month ago I posted about HR669 in the Ball Python forum it is crucial to spread the word to everyone you know whether they own a reptile, hamster, parakeet, guinea pig etc they too will be affected by this bill if it passes.

You must act and you must act now, not only with one email, one letter or one phone call, you must also help spread the word to your co-worker, neighbor, local pet stores etc.

What to do click here to watch the video Link

Copy and paste this message an post it in other forum you might frequent.

Click here to find and write to YOUR congressman and tell him to say no to this bill (sample letter available on the site) Link

Get your banner and put it on your website, my space, facebook etc and tell people to visit nohr669.com Link

Remember you have the world at your finger tips, if everyday you email 10 people and in turn those people email 10 people imagine how many can be reached
Here is the email I have been sending to people you can copy it or create your own but make sure to tell people you know to visit noHR669.com

Quote:

I am writing to you regarding bill HR669,

If you own birds (parakeets, parrots, cornures, cockatiels, canaries, finches…), small animals (guinea pig, chinchilla, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils…), fishes (betas, guppies, angel fishes…) or reptiles (pythons, boas, colubrids, geckos…) this bill will affect YOU.

If this bill passes in congress you will no longer be able to breed, sell your animals or be allowed to transport them out of state.

Please visit this website www.nohr669.com to know more about this bill and how YOU can help to stop this bill.

This is serious and all I am asking you is to take a few minute of your time and make sure you are writing your congressman (before April 23rd) and tell him to vote no on HR669. (Whom to contact and what to write can be found on www.nohr669.com simply watch the video)

What else can you do?

Forward this email to people you know, talk to your family, neighbors, friends, co-workers and tell them to visit this site www.nohr669.com as well and tell them to do their part. (everyone should be concerns but many are not even aware of this bill)

If you have a website, my space, facebook or if you frequent an animal forum please post the NO HR669 video , use the NO HR669 banners available to you and spread the word.

United we can make a difference.

Thanks you for your time

04/14/09  10:34am

GA_Ball_Pythons
View Profile

Message To: GA_Ball_Pythons   In reference to Message Id: 1985675

Also remember to write your 22 letters and send them to Tom Wolfe no later than April 21st 2009

Here is the sample letter

Quote:

Subject: No on HR669

Dear Committee Member,

Please oppose HR669. It is a fundamentally flawed Bill written by a radical environmentalist group that seeks to end the ownership and trade of all non-native animals. There is not a shred of scientific evidence to justify the destruction of a Reptile Industry that leads the world in producing and exporting high quality captive bred reptiles. With the stroke of a pen thousands of small American family businesses would be bankrupted overnight. With no quantifiable benefits, what could be the justification to destroy a viable sector of the American economy in a time of hardship?

What will the additional drain on taxpayer dollars be to grow USFWS at unprecedented levels in order to destroy American small business? These are not the "To big to fail" corporate titans, but small family businesses with their entire net worth wrapped up in their Reptile breeding projects and ancillary supporting businesses. A 3 billion dollar a year industry would be wiped out by HR669. Thousands of American families would suffer losing everything.

•Trade in Reptiles and ancillary businesses is estimated to be a 3 billion dollar a year industry.
•More than 9 million Reptiles are exported from the US annually.
•More than 11 million Reptiles are kept as pets in the US. That means 1 in 25 households have 1 or more Reptiles.
•The US accounts for 82% of the worldwide trade in Reptiles.
•At least 500,000 Americans would be negatively impacted by HR669. Thousands of small family businesses would be destroyed.
•There are approximately 4 million boas & pythons, as well as more than 7 million geckos, lizards turtles & other Reptiles in captivity in the US today.
•The United States Association of Reptile Keepers Opposes HR669.
Please oppose HR669! The costs to American Families would be enormous. The benefits are both questionable and non quantifiable. NO ON HR669.

Sincerely,

1- Print 22 of the above letters make sure that your name and address is on each of those 22 letters and SIGN THEM.

2 - Put each letter in an enveloppe, and write your FULL NAME and RETURN ADDRESS in the top left corner of each enveloppe.

3- Each enveloppe now needs to be adressed to one of the representative sponsoring this bill. You guessed since you have 22 enveloppes this mean you have 22 names

Each person on this list should have an enveloppe in their name

Quote:

Madeleine Z. Bordallo (Ch)(NP-Guam)
427 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-5301

Henry Brown (R-SC) Ranking Republican
103 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Lois Capps (D-CA)
1110 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

William Cassidy (R-LA)
506 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Jason Chaffetz (R-UT)
1032 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Donna M. Christensen (NP-Virgin Islands)
1510 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Ronald James Kind (D-WI)
1406 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Diana L. DeGette (D-CO)
2335 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Eni F.H. Faleomavaega (NP – American Samoa)
2422 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Jeff Flake (R-AZ)
240 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

John Fleming (R-LA)
1023 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Doc Hastings (R-WA)
1203 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-4704

Dale E. Kildee (D-MI)
2107 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Nick Joe Rahall, II (D-WV)
2307 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Gregorio Sablan (I- Mariana Islands)
423 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH)
1330 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Robert J. Wittman (R-VA)
1123 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Donald E. Young (R-AK)
2111 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Pedro R. Pierluisi (NP-Puerto Rico)
1218 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Frank M. Kratovil, Jr. (D-MD)
314 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Douglas L. Lamborn (R-CO)
437 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Frank J. Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ)
237 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-3006

4- Now take all your enveloppes and place them into a manila envelope and adress this enveloppe to

Quote:

Tom Wolfe
6246 Lee Hwy
Arlington, VA 22205

This should look like this (well except I did not use a manilla enveloppe I decided to send mine priority mail)

04/14/09  10:34am

GA_Ball_Pythons
View Profile

Message To: GA_Ball_Pythons   In reference to Message Id: 1985676

Watch HR669 being debated live Link

04/22/09  12:35pm

GA_Ball_Pythons
View Profile

Message To: GA_Ball_Pythons   In reference to Message Id: 1990793

***UPDATE***

Quote:

Great Job... But it’s NOT Over!!

Congratulations on a Job Well Done with HR669... But that was just the first Battle. We are fighting a war!

The effort put forth by the Reptile Nation in opposing HR669 was nothing less than monumental. A real letter campaign like that hasn’t been seen in a long time. It made a HUGE impression. USARK is so very proud that the community has pulled together like never before to fight this bill. We gained an important preliminary victory... But this is far from over. It was just round one.

USARK has learned that the Defenders of Wildlife, Humane Society of the United States and The Nature Conservancy are going to meet with Delegate Bordallo’s Subcommittee Staff in early May. The word is that they will be discussing a rewrite of HR669. They are expected to actually change the bill very little. The idea is to cut deals with the biggest opponents of the bill. We believe any proposal that involves a "white list" or a complicated permit system is a Deal Breaker for the Reptile Nation. That scenario we believe would eliminate the majority of animals and most hobbyist breeders. USARK will never endorse a deal that sacrifices any of our brothers and sisters.

This NEW bill is likely to be reintroduced under a new number in order to lose the stigma of HR669 as a tainted bill. It will cause confusion, but USARK will keep the Reptile Nation apprised of the facts as they develop.

Stay tuned to the latest developments on the USARK website. Prepare yourself for battle.

USARK

In other word get ready and stay tuned

If you have not done so suscribe to USARK, Pijac, nohr669.com

04/27/09  01:36pm

Snosrap
View Profile

Message To: GA_Ball_Pythons   In reference to Message Id: 1993972

My Congressman sent me a reply saying the following:

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 669, the Nonnative Wildlife Prevention Act. I appreciate hearing from you on such an important issue because it enables me to better represent the beliefs and values of our district.
As an outdoorsman, I have a strong appreciation for the wildlife and our environment. Native species should not have to fear from the intrusion of nonnative wildlife. I look forward to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to protect our environment. This bill was most recently sent to the Committee on Natural Resources of which I am not a member. Rest assured should this legislation reach the House floor for a vote, I will keep your views in mind.

Does not sound like he will help us at all....and I went to the Committee on Natural Resources and did a search. It brings up many things that refer to the petition, but no specific action by the committee.

Snosrap

06/05/09  01:49am

Back to Anouncements-News Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area