Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Archive  Anoles Forum  Forums  Archives

Anoles Forum

R.lizard   Nemo   Pe   Eyespy   Loki   R.lizard   Anole_Owner   Eyespy   Anole_Owner   Pe   Eyespy   Miranda   Baby Fat   Eyespy  
 Member  Message

R.lizard
View Profile

What do you all feed your crickets?

As title ^ Besides gut laod as I just got my 2 anoles on 9-12 after having two a few years back but they lived for a short time . (didn’t know the proper care back then)I read some where you can also feed them patatos. I was wondering can or will crickets eat a small piece af an apple for a treat to my anoles once in a while?

09/13/03  8:17am
Sorry, No Replies

Nemo
View Profile

Message To: R.lizard   In reference to Message Id: 7167

i mainly feed my crickets oatmeal but they will eat apples oranges and yes potatos

09/13/03  9:53am
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Nemo   In reference to Message Id: 7168

I mix it up a bit. Sometimes I use fish flakes, oatmeal, dry catfood, and maybe a piece of quality lettuce like collards. For sake of keeping them hydrated I use potatos and apples.

PE

09/13/03  10:42am
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 7169

Potatoes don’t really add much nutrition, just water. You are better off using dark leafy greens or slices of orange as they contain much more in the way of vitamins and minerals while still providing a high moisture level. The bugs can fill up on starch and not get a good effective gutload going on.

I don’t like the commercial gutloading stuff. Most of it is too high in phosphorus and contains a controversial preservative called ethoxyquin.

Ethoxyquin toxicity

I use the same salad ingredients that I give bearded dragons and iguanas, plus some spirulina fish flakes, bearded dragon pellets or dry cat food,and sometimes some nonfat powdered milk if I have herps with an especially strong calcium need. I also sprinkle some calcium and vitamin powder over their food at least 2 times a week.

09/13/03  3:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Loki
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 7210

i use a calcium enriched flukers gutload, and a calcium crix quencher (same brand) so my crix dont drown.

09/13/03  6:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

R.lizard
View Profile

Message To: Loki   In reference to Message Id: 7221

Thanks to all and will be getting some fruits very soon!!!

09/13/03  9:28pm
Sorry, No Replies

Anole_Owner
View Profile

Message To: R.lizard   In reference to Message Id: 7229

I never have them long enought to actually feed them anything

09/15/03  12:24am
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: Anole_Owner   In reference to Message Id: 7375

You should always feed them yourself for 2 days before you feed them to a reptile. Pet stores usually don’t feed their crickets anything very nutritous and as "you are what you eat" they don’t provide much food value to your herps unless you gutload them yourself.

09/15/03  12:28am
Sorry, No Replies

Anole_Owner
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 7376

[quote]You should always feed them yourself for 2 days before you feed them to a reptile. Pet stores usually donít feed their crickets anything very nutritous and as "you are what you eat" they donít provide much food value to your herps unless you gutload them yourself.[quote]

About this post i have something to say. My pet store is one of the best pet stores in my area. They do feed the animals on a daily bases. If ur pet store doesn’t feed them that’s wrong. I won’t go to any other store then the one i shop at now. My animals in the best conditions and I wouldn’t want to place any doubt on my pet store.

09/15/03  7:58pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Anole_Owner   In reference to Message Id: 7435

Unfortunately most pet shops I frequent can care less about their reptiles. I have notified some of them of loose reptiles...they could care less. You buy a reptile from them, but then you have no where to get crickets until the store manager decides to order them. Even with mice, I try to get mice for months and they keep telling me they just sold out...every single day I went there and they are always sold out, atleast until one employee told me they haven’t had any frozen mice in a while. That description is one of the better store. I been to a pet shop upstate NY ran by a father and son, and everything is clean and their shop shows it. The feed their crickets and they listen to what hobbyist say to keep improving. Then I went to another petshop about 20 minutes away...totally disgusting...you couldnt see through the tanks, they had a 70 gallon tank with 100’s of mice in it eating iceburgh lettuce. The mice didn’t even have enough room to walk on the ground, only on each other. I been in a local pet shop where they had the same dead lizards in the tank for 3 weeks.

So basically...you are one of the lucky few. I wish we all were able to have a petshop like yours in our area. I have a few around me and only one is decent enough that I would buy crickets from, and thats pushing it since they use wooden bins for their crickets and wood can easily harbor parasites.

Be cool
PE

09/15/03  8:14pm
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: Anole_Owner   In reference to Message Id: 7435

What does this pet store feed their crickets?

09/15/03  8:20pm
Sorry, No Replies

Miranda
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 7437

cricket feed from the pet store

09/25/03  5:49pm
Sorry, No Replies

Baby Fat
View Profile

Message To: Miranda   In reference to Message Id: 8674

The method is known as gut loading and i know of many people that do it. You can usually buy certain types of cricket food just for gut loading i use Pretty Pets Cricket Food you should be able to purchase it at local pet stores or pet shows. you must wait 24 hours after gut loading to feed the crickets to feed them to your pets.

09/29/03  8:41pm
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: Baby   In reference to Message Id: 9138

Many of those cricket foods are preserved with ethoxyquin, a known toxin. Vets petitioned the FDA to ban its use in animal feed, but they rejected the petition. All they require is warning labels not to feed the stuff to lactating female dogs. Ethoxyquin is banned from most human foods, it can only be used in red spices at 5 parts per million maximum dose. Animal feeds can have up to 150 parts per million if fed directly to the animal, and there is no restriction on how much can be used in cricket feed. A lot of reptiles that die from liver failure have ethoxquin that accumulates in the fat in and around the liver so it’s strongly suspected to cause fatty liver disease. More studies need to be done, though.

I prefer to use safer things like cat or dog food preserved with just vitamin E, spirulina fish flakes, and plenty of greens, veggies and fruit. It’s much less convenient, but that way there’s no chance of the ethoxyquin accumulating in the liver and causing organ failure, cancer, immune system suppression, and just plain old poisoning. It’s much cheaper than having to pay for veterinary care or replacing animals that died too young.

10/03/03  5:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

Anoles Archive  Anoles Forum  Forums  Archives