Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kouchoco   Kouchoco   AmbuBadger   Kouchoco   AmbuBadger   Kouchoco   AmbuBadger   Abreul  

Member  Message

Kouchoco
View Profile

Does this anole have a respiratory infection?

Hi! I’m very new to the forums, but I saw a brown anole with its mouth wide open. I thought it had a funny expression, so I filmed it, but after reading some of the forum posts on here, I’m worried that it has an infection. It was extremely rainy and windy for the past couple of days. It would leave its mouth open for a while, then close it. There were 2 other anoles of the same size nearby.

I put the footage of the lizard below, since I’m not good at describing. ^^; I hope it’s okay for me to post the links to the footage. I own all of it; I took it with my phone! If not, I can try my best to describe further in another reply!

Video 1
Video 2
pics of the anole

04/03/18  10:49pm

Kouchoco
View Profile

Message To: Kouchoco   In reference to Message Id: 2322249

Oh dear, the links appear to be broken. I don’t know how to use the link maker. Here are the urls:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1IrzZR0t5rJDq0JmYYGN_4oDd52pdZ9QY

https://youtu.be/43C8x_PXMVI

https://youtu.be/1THHccagNKs

04/03/18  10:54pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Kouchoco   In reference to Message Id: 2322250

I couldn’t see the pic, but I saw both videos. It’s possible this is an early stage of a respiratory infection, but the good news is that she appears to be very mentally alert and active. The care is mostly supportive— I’ve tried giving sick anoles oxygen, albuterol updrafts, and saline soaks, and still had a mortality rate of 75%. If you’re unable to take her to a vet, monitor her color, mental sharpness, and be sure to provide a dry basking spot with heat in the low 90’s. Make sure she gets plenty of fluid to drink and that she’s getting vitamin powder on her food. Keep us posted!

04/04/18  12:09am

Kouchoco
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322255

Unfortunately, this anole is wild. I found her by my bus stop. However, I can check tomorrow to see if she’s still there. There should be enough bugs in the area for her to eat (I see a lot of anoles at this bus stop; it’s right in front of someone’s front lawn with tons of greenery). Temperatures are usually in the 80s there during the daytime.

Thank you for the insight though! I’ll look into the vitamin powder! Can anoles take the powder in water? I know they like drinking leaf droplets, and there are plenty of leaves there. I wish I could do more...

04/04/18  12:36am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Kouchoco   In reference to Message Id: 2322256

Okay, if she’s wild, then she should be fine. You can mix the vitamin powder with water and spray or drizzle it on leaves in the area for them to lick up. Wild anoles will readily eat anything— I’ve had males brave enough to snatch mealworms from my hand once they started understanding that my hand = free meal!

04/04/18  01:08am

Kouchoco
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322257

Alrighty! Good to know! I’ll need to see where to get vitamin powder. I find anoles fascinating and quite adorable, but I can’t afford to have one as a pet, so I just observe wild ones!

04/04/18  01:45am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Kouchoco   In reference to Message Id: 2322259

I hear you there— the more I’ve come to love them, the more I realize I shouldn’t keep them unless I have a very large setup that gives them as much space as possible. Some people will cram four into a ten or twenty gallon tank, and my heart really breaks for those little guys. I’ve got a male and three females in a vertical enclosure that’s six feet tall and almost two feet wide on each side. They have multiple basking areas, hides, UV light, ventilation, and even a cool mist humidifier they drink from. Everything is set to a timer so they have a regular schedule of light and water. I’m happy when they’re happy!

04/04/18  02:36am

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322260

I don’t know the temp where you’re at, but occasionally lizards will open their mouth to help regulate their temperature and cool down. Although it looked quite excessive. I hope the little girl is okay!

04/04/18  06:28pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area