Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Grady M   AmbuBadger   Abreul   AmbuBadger   Grady M   Grady M   Grady M   Grady M   Grady M   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Grady M
View Profile

Thank god for my curiosity!!!!!!

Hello lizard world. Here’s my story, I bought an anole about 48 hours or so ago and I had everything but a few basics because I ran out of funds (I will get more) and the one thing I’m desperate for is a night lamp. I have a heating lamp for day but I thought my secondary light would be warm enough, but it wasn’t my anole was brown on top of the plant closest to the secondary plant. And I think he almost died. Does anyone have any ideas of what color/lamp I should get for my anole?!?!? Also as you can see I am only a beginner.

03/22/18  10:56pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Grady M   In reference to Message Id: 2322163

Do you need a night lamp/heating element? How cold is it where you live right now? There are many reasons for an Anole to be brown... can you tell us how his tank is oriented? Is it horizontal or vertical, and what are you feeding him?

03/23/18  04:05am

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322164

He could still be stressed from the change in his environment. Is he eating at all and drinking?

03/23/18  07:37am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2322165

^^That’s a definite possibility, I totally overlooked the part where you mentioned getting him just 48 hours ago! As for budget, there are ways of providing a great environment for your anole without breaking the bank. I often check CraigsList for stuff to convert into enclosures, you just gotta be creative. Also, try to avoid buying light fixtures from places like PetCo because they’re charging you a premium price. I always see people tossing out those tree lights (three fixtures on a stick, you see them in everyone’s living room), I’ve dismantled them to make basking/heating spots for my anoles.

03/23/18  09:11am

Grady M
View Profile

Hello and thxs for replying and the cage is plain (vertical)

03/23/18  12:42pm

Grady M
View Profile

Message To: Grady M   In reference to Message Id: 2322167

Oh and I understand he still could be stressed from moving cages but I did some research on why they changed colors and what I read was it was either for camouflage and/or attracting more hea

03/23/18  12:44pm

Grady M
View Profile

Message To: Grady M   In reference to Message Id: 2322168

Also I live in Ohio where the weather always changes here and so does my heat for my house so I’m not exactly sure

03/23/18  12:47pm

Grady M
View Profile

Yes I’d do need an night heating element and one that doesn’t wake her also I heard that anoles can’t see red is the true because I was thinking about buying a red tinted bulb for my tank

03/23/18  12:49pm

Grady M
View Profile

Message To: Grady M   In reference to Message Id: 2322170

And finally yes she is eating and drinking also I have not fed her in a few hours because of low food supply hopefully she will be ok

03/23/18  12:52pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Grady M   In reference to Message Id: 2322171

Okay, as long as the tank has a minimum temp of 75* F at night, she will be okay. Daytime temps, of course, need to be higher. Anoles can certainly see red, or at least any shade that matches their dewlap. You can look for a ceramic heat emitter or black light/infrared bulbs, which will have much less visible light waves. You could also enclose the tank fully (if it’s a screen one) by covering it with a sheet or towel at night to keep the heat in. Make sure she’s getting nutrients— namely calcium and vitamin A— with her meals. She should also have a UVB light, as this helps her metabolize nutrients to make vitamin D and prevent metabolic bone disease. I buy my bulbs from Amazon because they have the best prices. Also try other things besides bugs when it comes to feeding— mashed banana and chewed carrot have all been enjoyed by my anoles, and will be much easier to find than mealworms or crickets if your shop runs low. Generally, anoles don’t like acidic (citrus) fruits. Feeding three times a week should be good enough.

03/23/18  02:01pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area