Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LunaTuna   AmbuBadger   LunaTuna   AmbuBadger   LunaTuna   LunaTuna   AmbuBadger   LunaTuna   AmbuBadger   LunaTuna   AmbuBadger   LunaTuna   LunaTuna   AmbuBadger   LunaTuna  

Member  Message

LunaTuna
View Profile

My Anole stopped eating

I have 2 green anoles ones name is Luna and the other is Louie currently Luna isn’t eating and it has been that way for a couple months at first I thought she was eating while I wasn’t home but she currently is extremely skinny like a pencil thin(almost) I am very scared so I gave Luna the primary tank so she would have privacy maybe to give her room or time to eat while Louie is very healthy and in shape I initially asked a vet through the phone but they only said I had to come in and they could not answer my question(also it’s over $160 to come in)

Note: please fill me in in with suggestions on my anole so he can be healthy in the future or just in general

02/24/18  02:59pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: LunaTuna   In reference to Message Id: 2322075

My Anole stopped eating

Two possible causes that are normal: she’s going to lay an egg soon or she’s preparing for a shed. For illness-related issues, care will be supportive unless you go to the vet— in other words, you would allow her to get better on her own instead of giving her meds (vets and meds are expensive!). To get her to drink, do the usual spraying of the tank and see if she drinks. If she doesn’t or she’s dehydrated, don’t force food down her throat: it could cause aspiration pneumonia and stress, and her body may be too dry to adequately digest normal things like bugs and worms. Instead, try mashing banana, mango, or even using fruit jam and mixing it with her vitamin/calcium powder. Dab a small amount on her nose, and watch to see if she licks it off. One more important question: is she still alert and attentive? If she is, then that’s great. You could also try adding flies or small butterflies to her tank, I find that my anoles need something to chase from time to time to keep them interested.

02/24/18  08:16pm

LunaTuna
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322077

My Anole stopped eating

Thank you I wasn’t more trying to force feed her I was just worried really thank you so much she is very alert and she drinks every day should I still keep them separated??? Also with the banana and calcium powder are u recommending me to feed her that normally???

02/24/18  11:26pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: LunaTuna   In reference to Message Id: 2322078

My Anole stopped eating

That’s good to hear that she is alert. Mental status is a big indicator for how healthy an anole is, so we can rest a little easier now knowing that Luna is still pretty well. The banana would be a good addition to their usual diet as well as mashed carrots. I’m suggesting the soft foods for now if she appears dehydrated, but it wouldn’t hurt to vary their diet after she’s back to normal. As for keeping them separated, I find any major changes in their environment may take a few days to get used to, so it would be good to leave her where she is for now and see if you can get her to eat. Keep us informed! And I’m sure you didn’t force feed Luna, that was more for others who may read this post who are having similar issues, my apologies for coming off as if I blamed you!

02/25/18  12:23am

LunaTuna
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322079

My Anole stopped eating

It’s ok I set up a smaller enclosure for the other one the thing is I think it will be ok I am going to get a little lamp so it isn’t in the dark I’m not cramimg a big lizard in there it’s a little anole that separated so im going to separate him for the week and see what happens thank you so much!!

02/25/18  12:57am

LunaTuna
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322079

My Anole stopped eating

Also My anole sits in my leaves days on end too she is very alert but I think now that they are separated she is getting up

02/25/18  04:46am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: LunaTuna   In reference to Message Id: 2322081

My Anole stopped eating

Sounds great, I hope she fattens up soon :)

02/25/18  10:33pm

LunaTuna
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322082

Banana/other lizard

So my other anole is in a smaller encloshure a little bit half then a gallon and i feel really bad because I currently do not have any lights in well I have 1 but it’s pretty small and is more like a reading light I am only doing this for a week to see how the one not eating does.

UPDATE: on Sunday she refused but today(Monday eventually she licked the mix of banana and calcium powder twice I left her a little in case but she seems to like it a littleBugsInCyberspace.com

Looks like the middle cage

02/26/18  05:14pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: LunaTuna   In reference to Message Id: 2322084

Banana/other lizard

That’s good that she ate some banana. How is she doing today? Is it possible to make a larger enclosure for them?

02/27/18  01:54pm

LunaTuna
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322088

Banana/other lizard

Currently I don’t think so my mom is at least trying to find any light but The lizard who wasn’t eating today ate a little bit more then before

(___) <—— around that big

02/27/18  04:11pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: LunaTuna   In reference to Message Id: 2322089

Banana/other lizard

The enclosures you have seem pretty small. Have you ever thought about making your own? You could easily nail together a wooden frame and then staple screen to it, making for a pretty large enclosure. Craigslist also has a lot of people getting rid of old fish tanks for cheap as well as curio/display cases that would make for a decent enclosure. Many curio cabinets have built-in lighting!

02/27/18  06:37pm

LunaTuna
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322091

Banana/other lizard

Ok....I have a very large enclosure since they needed to be separated for a little I have one in a smaller enclosure temporarily(until the end of this week) is that ok???

(One being separated is the one who is healthy)

(Other one in the larger enclosure is the one I am feeding banana mixed with calcium powder)

02/27/18  07:44pm

LunaTuna
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322091

Banana/other lizard

Also this (___) was how big HP of a bite the anole had

02/27/18  07:45pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: LunaTuna   In reference to Message Id: 2322093

Banana/other lizard

Oh, okay, then end of the week is fine. Good luck with the anoles!

02/27/18  07:50pm

LunaTuna
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322094

Banana/other lizard

Ok thanks I’ll keep you posted

02/27/18  08:00pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area