Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Miranda_Sky   AmbuBadger   Miranda_Sky   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

A couple questions before bringing home first green anole :)

Hi, guys!

I just ordered all of the necessities for owning my first green anole! I just have a couple of more questions.

I know a lot of people suggest using a humidification system for the terrarium, but can I just spray it down with a spray bottle before I leave for work for 7-8 hrs a day? Or would the humidification system be necessary for controlling the humidity for this long? It is only an 11 gal. terrarium. I was waiting to order one until I know for sure, because I am trying to save money.

Also, I noticed that the green anoles at my local pet store are all brown all the time. They are kept in a tiny tank with inadequate lighting. I was wondering if this is probably just from stress due to so many being in such a small space together... But I was reading that buying an unhealthy anole can result in them not thriving and dying too soon. Is there still hope, that I give him a good home, that he will still be able to thrive well in my care? I just spent almost $200 on everything for the anole, and don’t want it to be for nothing :(

02/20/18  08:05am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2322064

The pet shop anoles are likely brown due to their poor living conditions and being too close to each other. If you find an Anole that doesn’t show signs of dehydration or being picked up (various scars and injuries), you should be okay. Misting the tank by bottle should do, but having a live plant in there will help retain moisture.

02/20/18  12:54pm

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2322066

Thank you :) Is there a particular starter plant that you could suggest, that is relatively easy to care for? I have only ever cared for one plant that sits on my window sill that requires medium light.

02/21/18  02:07pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2322069

I’d go with a pothos plant. They have wide leaves that provide lots of hiding areas and hold droplets of water for anoles to lap up. They grow out like vines, which can be draped over things in the terrarium and provide a means for exercise (my dominant male loves it and sleeps in the vine pretty much every night). You can also try various ferns and mosses to keep the humidity up. I hope he enjoys his new home!

02/21/18  11:46pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area