Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Miranda_Sky   AmbuBadger   Miranda_Sky   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Soft white or clear bulb? Does it even matter?

I am slowly getting a set up going as a first time anole owner. I bought a 4 pack of halogen, soft white 52w bulbs, and it also says they are varied spectrum. Will these be ok for my anole? I am just wondering if it is more of preference what bulbs people use for their terrarium, or if there is a better reason for using clear bulbs, or flood lights as a basking light. Answers are appreciated! Thanks! :)

02/15/18  07:24pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2321923

I’ll answer all your questions here so you don’t have check both threads. First, I’ve used both lights and had no troubles since the only thing I’m looking for in my incandescent bulb is heat. The main thing is to take a temperature reading in your anole’s basking spot and make sure it’s in the low 90’s. As for the humidity, spraying water is fine, but if you do get a humidifier, you can find one that’ll easily fit in the tank if it’s over 20 gallons; the humidifiers tend to be the size of a tea pot. If your tank is smaller or the setup is already perfect, you can easily rig up a tube to carry the mist inside your tank against a plant where the droplets can collect on a leaf.

02/15/18  11:42pm

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321924

Ok, thanks! I am starting with just one anole, with the minimum requirement of space. It is a 12x12x18
(11gal.) starter terrarium. I was going to get exo terra and order online, but i’m going with zoo med because that’s the one my local pet store carries, and I want to pick it up tomorrow because I’m anxious and want to get things going!

Also, this tank already comes with a dome light, but if I get a compact light hood as well for the UVB bulbs, should I get the 8 inch, or the 12 inch in length to cover the full length of the lid?

02/16/18  03:21pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2321927

Ah, I would buy a UVB bulb based on what I see most commonly available. I say this because I don’t want you to invest in something and not replace it as needed. If you see they’re both commonly available and similar in price, then go for the one that covers the most of the tank.

02/16/18  04:33pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area