Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Miranda_Sky   AmbuBadger   Miranda_Sky   AmbuBadger   Miranda_Sky   Miranda_Sky   AmbuBadger   Miranda_Sky   AmbuBadger   Miranda_Sky  

Member  Message

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Anole terrarium heat lamp question

Hello, everyone. I am going to be a new green anole owner. I have never owned a reptile. I have been busy learning all that I can about their care.

The terrarium that I want to purchase is a verticle and is a starter kit made by Zilla. The lamp it comes with, is a fixture with a halogen bulb, which I have read, gives off more light, and is a good overall heat source. I know that I also need a UVB light... But is the halogen light all I need in addition to the UVB light? Is it also the same thing as a basking spot, which emits localized heat?... Or do I need an additional different basking light? I am new to this and could not find a clear answer anywhere for whatever reason! I am just kind of confused. Your answers are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,
Miranda_Sky

02/09/18  08:03pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2321906

Aloha and congrats! I’m happy to hear you want the best for your anole. UVB and the halogen bulb will both provide visible light. The UVB will also help him stay healthy by assisting in the production of calcium for his bones and making it easier to see certain food items, while the halogen bulb will keep him warm and provide the heat his body needs to metabolize and digest food as well as keeping the bacteria in his digestive tract at a healthy & safe level. Those two bulbs are pretty much all you need, but they’re very important. You can find UVB bulbs on Amazon probably cheaper than your local store, and it’s a good idea to stock up on a few so you’re not in a pinch when yours burns out. When the halogen bulb goes, it can be replaced with an old style 75 watt incandescent bulb available on the cheap from WalMart and similar stores. Make sure the basking area is in the low 90’s and you’re set! Giving him a good living environment will go far to prevent illness, and the majority of sick anoles I see can trace the cause back to their living conditions. Often, too cold an environment slows digestion and allows bacteria to build up to unsafe levels, and they get an infection. Good luck and feel free to always come here for pointers and help!

02/09/18  11:39pm

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321907

Thank you so much! I feel relieved now, and not so confused about heating and lighting.

Will I still need an under tank terrarium heater, in addition to the heat lamp? Some websites say that it is needed, and others suggest against it. I was thinking he will need one for night time, when I turn off the lamps, or is a night time heat bulb sufficient on it’s own? Thanks again!

02/10/18  07:14am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2321908

The under tank heater requirement depends on your climate. A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself if green anoles live in your neighborhood. I live in Hawaii, and they’re doing fine in the wild without heaters. If you live in an area where the nights get colder than 60’ F or have freezing winters, then yes, you may need to consider having one. If humidity is an issue, you can address that by buying a cool mist humidifier (look for ones that have “visible mist” or “ultrasonic” on the box) and hook it up to a timer so it’ll kick in several times a day for an hour at a time. I have a plant near the vent to catch the water so anything the anoles don’t drink will go into the soil.

02/10/18  10:35am

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321909

Awesome advice! I am so excited actually lol! I won’t be getting an anole until next weekend.

I am not getting the villa starter kit after all. I like the exo-terra rainforest kit better. It comes with a housing unit for a UVB bulb, and then I can get a light dome for an incandescent bulb. Were you saying that I can just use a regular light bulb as a heat source and basking spot in the terrarium? I figured the ones made for reptiles made by pet companies? Seems like I get ahead on one thing, then confused about another thing! Haha!

02/10/18  09:25pm

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2321911

Oh! And I live in the state of Ohio btw! Lol! It is really cold here in the winter sometimes, but I keep my heat on to a really warm temp at night, so I’m assuming that makes a difference? I should probably get a heating pad though, just in case, I think.

Also, if there is a brand of bulb that you could suggest for the incandescent bulb, that would also be great!

02/10/18  09:47pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2321912

Ah, yes, a heating pad may be beneficial if you turn the heat off when you guys are away. As for bulbs, there’s no particular brand— I get whatever is on sale. Just be sure it puts out enough heat in his basking area!

02/10/18  10:47pm

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321913

Awesome! Thank you for all of your help! So far I have done much research about everything to do with their care! My 9 year old daughter saw the anoles at the pet store, and wants one really bad, but I have loved animals my entire life, and grew up wanting to go to school for zoology/wildlife biology... But my mom always let me own everything but reptiles growing up lol! This is honestly going to be more fun for me than my daughter, I’m sure! I am really into it so far! :)

02/11/18  01:22pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Miranda_Sky   In reference to Message Id: 2321916

Aloha and good luck Miranda! I love anoles, they’ve got a lot of character for such a small creature. I hope yours will do well!

02/11/18  03:02pm

Miranda_Sky
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321917

Does it matter if the bulbs are soft white, or should the bulb be clear? I bought a 4 pack of halogen soft white bulbs that say modified spectrum. And is an incandescent any indoor/outdoor regular bulb? That’s why I got halogen, because the store I went to did not specify incandescent on any of the boxes. And if I use a humidifier, is it supposed to be compact, and actually go inside of the terrarium? I just got a spray bottle for now. Still working on getting all of the supplies. I didn’t have the money for anything until today.

02/15/18  03:37pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area