Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Triston Wasmund   Triston Wasmund   Abreul   Triston Wasmund   Abreul   Triston Wasmund   Abreul   AmbuBadger   Triston Wasmund   Triston Wasmund   AmbuBadger   Triston Wasmund   AmbuBadger   Triston Wasmund   Triston Wasmund   AmbuBadger   Triston Wasmund   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a male green anole ( along with 2 females) in at least a 40 gallon, not sure exactly the amount, that is outside on my patio... It is winter time here so I have a heat lamp placed on 24/7.. But I found a male anole outside and it was going to freeze in the 20’s so I put him in... I KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKING AND YES I HATE MYSELF FOR DOING IT... after seeing no signs of any aggression for a couple of days, I thought ok cool, as I was going to release him back soon, but the next day I find that my male’s whole right side of his face is all scarred with scabs or bruises and what not,,,i released the other male... all the way from his ear to his eye ball which is not usable still right now from the looks of it...KEEP READING!!! It has been like 2 weeks and he is still all scabbed, his ear I think is covered with scabs or whatever as it is like a black color and his eye I don’t think he can see out of as it is cloudy but he has it open now, he had it closed the whole time.... BUT NOWWW HE has these weird lump on the bottom of his lip, was on the right side but now is also on the left,,, ANY CLUE?? WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HIM? CALCIUM, WHAT?? I CANNOT TAKE HIM TO A VET EITHER

01/25/18  01:57pm

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321818

PLEASE HELP!!!

HERE IS A PICTURE https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9pOXln9TQbeU1JBV21SNFRpanNpR0pEVG11YVcwSEx5bEpr/view?usp=sharing

01/25/18  02:42pm

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321819

PLEASE HELP!!!

It looks like there might be an infection. The only thing I can think of is neosporin and vitamin A. Keep him warm as well. Good luck!

01/25/18  02:56pm

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321820

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks for the input, you saw the picture right? And I can add any Neosporin product, and also how do I apply it? Do I put it on the injuries and just let it set??? LOL one more question where do I get vitamin a from lol, I have Vitamin D3 supplement or something like that but..

01/25/18  03:07pm

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321821

PLEASE HELP!!!

There are little packets of A&D, which is like neosporin. It stands for Vitamin A and D. I used it for when my anole’s leg was amputated. I used a clean q-tip to apply it each time and let it set. Don’t put too much or it will bother him. Make sure the product you use doesn’t have painkillers in it. Keep him in a clean quarantine tank too so he isn’t bothered by the others and he can rest comfortably. You can buy a reptile multivitamin at basically any local pet store if they have a good enough herp section.

This site has medicines you can use. http://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/reptile-resources/reptile-health-and-nutrition/wound-care

01/25/18  03:41pm

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321823

PLEASE HELP!!!

LOL one more question, sorry... It is winter time where I live and my tank is outside, I do have a heat lamp on 24/7 though, but my question is how do I get him to eat, it seems like I have had to handfeed him by making him open his mouth because I do not see him eat when I put it down.. I tried to feed him today but he was not opening his mouth lol, it may be because of the winter or something I don’t know but any suggestions? Also where do you put your feeding dishes for your anoles?

01/25/18  04:43pm

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321824

PLEASE HELP!!!

Personally I don’t have feeding dishes. Mine won’t eat anything that isn’t moving, so I toss in some dusted, gut-loaded pinheads every other day. The crickets stay on the ground since it is coconut husk, and the terrarium is really tall. The anoles have plenty of space to stay away from the crickets if they want. Make sure he is not dehydrated before feeding him. He may not be eating because doing so would dehydrate him even more. I would bring him inside in a smaller tank so it’ll be easier to keep an eye on him. Try not to pry open his mouth because doing so could damage the scales around his mouth and cause another infection. When my anole wouldn’t drink, I would put a little bit of water in a bottle cap and hold it up for him to drink. Now he drinks from the glass after I mist his habitat. Do you know what your terrarium temperature is? I would use a probe thermometer because it is more accurate than the stick-on ones.

01/25/18  06:25pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321825

PLEASE HELP!!!

It definitely looks infected. He should be kept separate from the others. Not sure if this is a case of ranavirus, but if so, it’s usually fatal. Keep him warm (low 90’s), keep giving him fluid, and monitor his poop and skin condition for dehydration. Drop water on his nostrils and he will lick it off because he will sense it obstructing his breathing. If you have Pedialyte or similar infant rehydration formula, you can offer him that as well as soaking him up to his arms in Pedialyte or warm water so he can absorb some of the fluid. Don’t give him anything with a hard shell to eat, he will use precious fluid trying to digest it and break it down. You can try mixing any reptile vitamin powder (that contains calcium) with jam or jelly to form a paste; put this on his nose so he will lick it off and get some nutrients in. You can also mash up some carrots into a fine paste, the vitamin A helps him stay healthy as well. Any antibiotic ointment can be applied to any open wounds, a thin coat will do it.

01/25/18  10:48pm

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321825

PLEASE HELP!!!

No i do not know the temperature as i do not have a thermometer, I have never had one and have been taking care of animals ( mainly anoles) in the past and lol i am only 15 so i have to pay for everything for my lizards and fish.. But i will be getting a job soon so money wont be a problem.. Also the tank is outside because my mom thinks that the tank will smell and stuff but whatever... another thing is i think he is able to acclimate to whatever temperature he wants because the tank is pretty long and pretty tall and i have the infrared bulb around the middle and there is plenty of room on either side for it to get colder over there as it is winter and usual temperature are around 50 to 60 average, but i can do some measurements for you after school so we can see how many gallons it is.. i have never fed him crickets, lol shame on me but they are just to hard to take care of right now with the coldness and stuff so i have had mealworms but i do plan on getting crickets for them soon lol, I LOVE how you post back bro because at least i can get help, ask questions, and i know someone is out there trying to help me and i am not alone LOL.. please ask me any questions or anything

01/26/18  05:03am

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321827

PLEASE HELP!!!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE RESPONSE BACK AND ANSWER!!! There was something i forgot to say and i have no clue if it is normal or what or if it is due to the cold or something, even though he has a heat lamp, but yesterday i noticed his nostrils looked like they had blood or something as those 2 little holes on his snout had red inside them, it didnt look like liquid or anything but i dont know.. something good though was after i left him alone because i guess i was stressing him out too much because his spot behind his eyes were starting to turn that black color (could be do to his illness right now) but a couple hours later he was being active as when i touched him he was jumping around and stuff and finally jumped on me LOL.. BUT YES I will definitely try the jam with the ReptiCal i have right now as soon as school is over and maybe take a pic of the tank if you remind me LOL.... One question though and sorry if it is a stupid one, what if i put the stuff on his snout and he doesnt eat it, i mean he does lick water and stuff now but... sorry for typing so much lol

01/26/18  05:12am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321831

PLEASE HELP!!!

Okay, regarding the tank temp... one of the first things that we tell people to do is raise the temps in the basking area because 1) low temps allow bacteria in the gut and mouth to breed faster since anoles rely on the heat to keep their immune system running, and 2) heat aids in digestion of food, so making the process easier will mean less stress on his already weakened body.

The nostrils is no biggie, it’s normal to be able to see the pink of the inside. It’s also normal to see a white buildup that looks like tiny pieces of salt. Those are excess minerals and salts that he’s getting rid of via his respiratory tract. The fact he’s still able to move fast and is mentally alert is good, poor outcomes are usually seen in sluggish anoles that don’t seem to care about their surroundings.

Now for the jam & vitamin powder on the nose: since he saw licking up water, you can use a toothpick to place some of the jam on his mouth directly. When I force-feed an Anole, I do not pick them up and make them open their mouth as it causes a lot of stress to them. Instead, I put the jam combo or Pedialyte on their nose, covering the nostrils. They will sense that they can’t breathe through their nose and lick it off to clean it. Don’t worry about suffocation, he can still breathe through his mouth. He may suck some water or Pedialyte through his nose, but he will sense that this isn’t breathable and swallow it instead. If he does leave the jam on his nose after a few minutes, go ahead and wipe it off and clean the area with a wet napkin.

01/26/18  07:49am

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321834

PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok thank you so much, I will try that this afternoon and let you know how it goes. As for the temperature, I am sure it is enough or at least an acceptable amount of heat because I have a tree trunk thing that is about 7 inch. or something below the heat lamp and they are able to choose whether or not to get real close to it or not... as for his eye, do you know if it will get any better or useable? He opened it yesterday after I sprayed some water and I noticed that some water had gotten on the eye and the water, to my eyes, looked like it was cloudy. I don’t know if this is due to any juices or anything In his eye or what but at least he had it open.. I am at school right now so I don’t know what he is doing now but I will definitely update you. Hopefully I can get a picture of the tank and him again... this guy has been through a lot.. I sort of rescued him about 5 months ago because i noticed that not only would it get colder but other lizards used to be in that area but suddenly disappeared and when I got him he had new scars from i guess a fight but I will show you this afternoon,I believe he is an adult as he is pretty big... But lol don’t forget about the question at the top of the paragraph

01/26/18  09:54am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321835

PLEASE HELP!!!

Hard to say about the eye. I’m currently treating two anoles for an eye infection, and a third one who had it months ago has rwcoveres fully— but it took two months of caring for her before she recovered. I’m currently using saline to flush the eye as to remove any bacteria and dead tissue, keeping the anoles hydrated and warm, and feeding them the vitamin & jam or crushed mealworm diet. You can cut a meal worm in half and push the insides out so the anoles don’t have to eat the tough shells. To flush the eye, you could hold your anole and run warm tap water gently over it for short periods of time. I’m using a syringe and IV saline since I can get those off my ambulance.

01/26/18  10:33am

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321837

PLEASE HELP!!!

I do have a small syringe so I could do the warm water flush, but this eye was injured due to a fight from another anole I believe, if you looked at the description

01/26/18  11:06am

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321837

PLEASE HELP!!!

OMG I CANNOT FREAKING BELIEVE THIS, I DID WHAT YOU SAID, I STARTED flushing his eye and he seemed somewhat fine, he was active but not jumpy... then I found some peach preserves, which is the same texture and everything as jelly, put some calcium on it and then put it on his nose.. he never licked it, the only thing he did was wipe his face on my hand to get it off so I did it again, then just left him and watched him. never licked it.. then I noticed he kept trying to climb everything, my cotton swab when I put it near him, the leaves, and then he started shaking his head a couple times every 5 min..... and then he started opening his mouth really big and did this like every couple minutes and I noticed his breathing was weird, like super slow... so when he opened his mouth really wide again I tried to put some of the peach stuff inside and I did... long story short I have no freaking clue what the hell happened but he just stopped breathing good and his belly would only expand like once every minute and he was still opening his mouth.. then he got literally lifeless, he wouldn’t grab on to anything and his back legs were just crossed literally lifeless, but I noticed his stomach was still moving like every minute... and now I am pretty sure he is freaking dead.. 15 min ago he like jerked and that was like it... I have no clue if he is dead.. I don’t know what the hell to do and I am so sad... this is all my fault.. him getting that injury and him dying.. I don’t know what to do

01/26/18  02:23pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321839

PLEASE HELP!!!

The gaping mouth breathing sounds typical for a respiratory infection, it likely spread from his original wound down to his lungs. If he didn’t take the jam, that’s fine, but too much in his mouth wouldn’t be a good thing for him to eat so suddenly. Still, don’t feel like you’ve killed him... once the infection spreads, it’s hard to nurse them back to health and help them recover on their own. Keep him in a warm spot for now and make him comfortable, that’s the most we can do at this point. He does sound very sick right now, and he may not recover...

01/26/18  08:44pm

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321840

PLEASE HELP!!!

yup I was right, he was a goner... but at least we both now he is out of pain and in a much better place now... thanks so much for trying to help... this does not mean I wont be asking more questions in the meantime so check back every once in a while...

01/27/18  10:51am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321844

PLEASE HELP!!!

I’m sorry to hear about your little guy not pulling through... I’ve lost one recently, a rescue from my parents’ home that didn’t look too well to begin with and didn’t last a day. I’ve had one success story battling respiratory illness in a green anole and I’ve got two I’m treating now who I’m hopeful for. Eventually I plan to write up a treatment guide for caring for sick anoles when you can’t find a good herp vet (like for us in Hawaii), hopefully it’ll save a few along the way for those who read it.

01/27/18  11:36am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area