Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Abreul   AmbuBadger   Abreul   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Abreul
View Profile

New Anoles--Help!

Hello! I work at a pet store--for a few months now--and ever since I started, there were three anoles. One brown female, one green female, and one green male. Now, our store takes really good care of our animals. But the policy that we are supposed to follow is different for what i know to do for anoles. I told the people in charge of the reptile care what needed to be changed, because the anoles were horribly skinny. But people in general don’t seem to care much about these types of lizards. They’re ’feeder’ lizards. Anyway, I finally got fed up and bought them, which i know is usually a no-no. But I couldn’t just leave them there. I have two anoles at home--a green male and a brown female. They are in a 29 gallon terrarium. It’s a really nice setup--brand new and everything. I have the other three in a quarantine tank for now. It’s a ten gallon, which is massive compared to their old setup. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I should split them up. Some sites say 10 gallons per lizard, some say ten per the first two, and then five for each additional anole. I know the new male has to be kept separate from my current one. The brown female my old anole is with has to stay because they are bonded--he gets antsy without her. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’m thinking of finding a home for the new male, but I don’t know anyone who would be capable or want the task of taking on an anole.

PS-The two new greens are juveniles, if that makes any difference. I put the female next to my older guy, and he couldn’t care less about her presence. No aggressive bobbing. Just a bit curious. Thanks!

01/24/18  06:47pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321815

New Anoles--Help!

First off, thanks for saving those guys. It’s impossible to help every Anole out there, but you’ve made a difference for them, and that’s much better than the outcome they would’ve faced had you not taken them in. Now, the biggest issue I find isn’t the lack of space, but the lack of adequate lighting to give everyone a good basking spot and enough UVB to go around. Assuming you’ve got that covered, you could probably get away with having the two original anoles and either the new brown or green female with them, and see how the new green male does with the remaining female— brown or green. I’ve found that brown & green anoles can cohabitate so long as each has their own territory. If the new brown female and green male share the ten gallon, then maybe it would be best to orient it tall-ways so he can have the top half and she can take control of the bottom.

Now, the 10 gal/anole is a rule of thumb, but generally they’ll do best with the most space you can give them. You might be able to lay the ten gallon horizontally and place a tall plant like an orchid inside. Cover the whole thing with a pop-up mesh laundry hamper— like the kind WalMart carries— when you’re away. When you’re home and able to keep an eye on them, remove the hamper and allow the green anole to chill in the open on the orchid. I’ve done this when I only had a small tank, and it’ll keep them happy until you release him/find a home/get a bigger tank. You can always make your own enclosure or try Craig’s List for a bigger tank. Let us know how things go!

01/24/18  11:25pm

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321817

New Anoles--Help!

I’ve put the green female in with my resident pair, and omg my male is trying his best to court her. She really likes him too--she jumped on his back and let him carry her around for a while. The female brown anole in with them doesn’t mind much--she does a bit of confused bobbing when she sees the others doing it. I’ve noticed my male really greened up since I put the other female in. As for the basking, under my light I have a plant with wide, flat leaves. Each anole gets their own leaf to lay on, and they all bask together. The other two new anoles I got are still in quarantine because they’re still a bit skinny. I plan on keeping the brown female, and I might end up just getting a larger tank to keep the male as well. Overall, things are going very smoothly! It’s much better than the last time I tried to save an anole from the pet store :’(

01/25/18  06:30pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321826

New Anoles--Help!

It sounds like you’re doing well! Keep up the good work, I’m happy to hear they enjoy their new home!

01/25/18  10:50pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area