Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AnimalLover254   Abreul   AmbuBadger   Triston Wasmund   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

AnimalLover254
View Profile

Are my green anoles stressed?

I have been getting conflicting messages about whether a brown anole is stressed or not. I have done hours upon hours of research to make sure they have a suitable environment, but they are still brown all day, except for when they are sleeping, and I’m not sure what else to do. I have two female anoles in a 40 gallon terrarium. They have plenty of places to hide, with lots of plastic plants and one live plant. I mist the cage whenever I see that it’s dry, and the humidity is usually between 50-60% with the temperature being at about 80 degrees. The lamp is on one side of the cage so that they have a temperature gradient; I have a blue, 100 watt daylight bulb and a 13 watt uvb bulb. They appear to be eating well, I give them a few crickets every day, and they also have a couple waxworms in a dish that I have suspended near the top of the cage. When I first got them, they would go back and forth between green and brown, but I started having trouble keeping the humidity up. So, I bought a reptile fogger, and this easily keeps the humidity where it needs to be. However, ever since I got the fogger, the two anoles are constantly brown. I thought that maybe they were cold because of the fog blowing in the cage, so I bought a ceramic heater, which is also on the same side of the cage as the lamps. They have been hanging out under the heater most of the times I check on them, so I think I was correct in assuming that they were cold, but they are still brown. There are no pets or anything that go in the room to stress them out; I am the only one that goes in there, and I’m only there a few hours a day. I’m not sure what else I could possibly be doing wrong to make them unhappy, if they truly are unhappy. Any advice would be appreciated.

01/22/18  03:59pm

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: AnimalLover254   In reference to Message Id: 2321806

I’ve had the same problem as you--my setup was perfect, yet my male green anole was brown all of the time. He was only green when it was freezing cold. But lately he’s been yellow and green since I moved his heat lamp closer and raised the humidity. He gets multivitamins now, as well as calcium with D3--he currently doesn’t have a UVB because I need to buy a new one. Your setup sounds really good from what I read through quickly. From what I’ve discovered with anoles, they are finicky creatures. Humidity levels and temperatures need to be perfectly within their range, and even if it is, they can still go brown. I don’t think it’s anything you are doing wrong. I honestly can’t think what is stressing them out.

01/22/18  07:32pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321807

Brown alone isn’t a sign of stress or illness. Look for the black spots behind the eyes and smaller dark brown specks over her belly and back instead. Those are more reliable indicators of stress. For now, try increasing the heat in their basking spot to the low 90’s and see if this helps. Also, bring them out from time to time if they’re not too jumpy (your anole may vary!) to let them chill on a house plant and see if they green up.

01/23/18  07:33pm

Triston Wasmund
View Profile

Message To: AnimalLover254   In reference to Message Id: 2321806

May I ask what you mean by a dish suspended near the top?? Is this a product or something?

01/25/18  03:12pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Triston Wasmund   In reference to Message Id: 2321822

It sounds like he’s saying the feeder worms are in a dish that is hanging from the ceiling of the cage.

01/25/18  10:52pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area