Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Themotherofgeckos   AmbuBadger   Themotherofgeckos   Abreul   Themotherofgeckos   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Themotherofgeckos
View Profile

"Weaning" my anole from hand feeding

I have had my anole for about close to a year and for the whole time I have had her, I have had to hand feed her. I sometimes try to put her on my floor with a mealworm just to try to see if she eats it (P.S. I do watch her and do make sure that she doesn’t just randomly wander around my room) It seems that she only will eat if I hand feed her. I am getting tired of having to wait 20 minutes for her to eat 1 meal worm. It would be great if you have any advice.

Thanks

01/15/18  06:59pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Themotherofgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2321772

Okay, for starters... anoles can go several days without food, easily. Let her wait and then offer her something lively, like an active mealworm or butterfly, something that’ll get her predatory instinct going. Don’t be afraid to go up to a week, she’ll eat if she’s hungry enough!

01/15/18  07:18pm

Themotherofgeckos
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321774

ok thank you because she hasn’t eaten for up to a week and I was kind of freaking out, because my crested geckos normally eat every day.

01/16/18  05:10am

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: Themotherofgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2321775

I have a male green anole that I had to handfeed since the day I got him. He absolutely refused to drink or eat anything that wasn’t straight for me. Then one day I brought him home a lady and suddenly he’s a big boy and won’t be handfed anymore. I like to think that he’s trying to impress her. She’s nowhere near as tame as him and doesn’t like to be held, so maybe he’s trying to be like her. Maybe get them a friend and they’ll see how they should normally eat. I used yo do that trick with my dogs. When I got a puppy, Id have the other dogs do something--like sit--and show them how it was done. Good luck!
PS maybe try crickets. They’re a lot faster and could make your anole kick into predator mode.

01/16/18  09:03am

Themotherofgeckos
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321776

Awesome thank you for the tip. Do you think that instead of adding a male (because I have a female) I could add another female? do you think that would have the same effect as adding a female for your anole?

01/17/18  05:47pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Themotherofgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2321783

Yes, I suppose a female would be okay to add... just try to get them as close in size as possible. If there’s too much of a difference, one may start bullying the other. If you get a male, it wouldn’t be too bad— your girl has been there long enough to have established herself being the dominant anole in that domain, so a similar or smaller male should be fine.

01/18/18  07:51am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area