Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sparksba   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger   Sparksba   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Sparksba
View Profile

Rescued from the cat. :(

Please excuse the long post, but I REALLY need your help.
Our rotten cat got a green anole Christmas Eve inside the screened-in porch. We brought her inside to die. No tail, scratched up & a chunk out of her side. Tiny little thing. :(
That was 13 days ago! She lives in a shoebox. Sock filled with rice for heating pad. Misted leaves for drinking.
Hated the big glass tank & heat lamp (got the black spots behind the eyes). I was very worried.
Back to sleeping on our fingers, laps, palms etc....And at night back in the shoe box!! Seems happy.
HOWEVER, she will NOT eat. Not crickets, not mealworms. :( Looking VERY skinny.
She lapped some overripe banana from my finger tonight & I was ecstatic!
So....Plan is to release her back into the back yard. However, Savannah GA got their first snowstorm in 30 years last week!!!! Go figure! WAY too cold just yet.
What can I do to help her make it? I’m worried about her not eating, worried about the shoebox set up, worried about no heat lamp etc..etc..
Will she be okay if I release her in wintertime?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated! AND btw keeping her a secret from the mean indoor cat is a nightmare!! :(
THANK YOU. <3

01/06/18  07:33pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Sparksba   In reference to Message Id: 2321711

Sorry for the late reply, I’ll type something after I get back from a doc appointment.

01/09/18  08:53am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321718

Okay, your anole certainly isn’t ready to go back out. Does she keep her eyes open? Is she alert, or does she sleep pretty much all of the time? Aside from initially applying neosporin or similar anti-biotic ointment to her wounds, the remainder of the care is supportive. In another words, you’ll have to provide an environment suited to helping her recover. The heating mat is nice, but anoles are used to basking in sunny spots to warm their bodies, ideally in the low 90’s. The temperature is important as the heat helps them digest food, regulate metabolism, and fight infection. This can be accomplished by placing a simple table lamp with an old incandescent bulb over an area for her to perch, like a wide piece of bark or small log (narrow sticks might be too hard to balance on). As for food, don’t worry about it for now: digestion will sap precious fluids from her body, so focus on rehydration for now. You can mix some vitamin and calcium powder in the water if she’s still licking it up. If she doesn’t drink at all, try putting a small drop of Pedialyte on her nose; she’ll suck it in and swallow it when she realizes it’s liquid. Watch her to make sure she’s swallowing versus breathing it in, but generally they know and it won’t be a problem. Finally, keep handling to a minimum. As long as she has a warm spot to relax in, let her rest. Sick anoles do perch and sleep on fingers because we feel like soft, warm branches to them. You can let her do that if you don’t have a warm spot at the moment, but keep in mind she will benefit most from a warm bulb and a little privacy for now :) Also, keep track of her poop production. Moist, solid poop is a good sign. If she isn’t eating much, that’s okay, the important thing is that she’s drinking fluids. When she perks up, you can try offering soft foods like mashed fruit and carrot.

01/09/18  01:29pm

Sparksba
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321722

Thank you SO much for taking the time to respond!

She is VERY alert now & running around when I take her out of the box! :)
The wound has healed somewhat & is no longer pink at all! She shed her skin yesterday too! She has had a couple of poops (white at the tip but firm & then brown). She drinks often from the misted leaves.
I plan on releasing her tomorrow as it seems so unfair to keep her in the box now she is running around. The winter storm here in Savannah is over & temps are warmer…..However, I am SO scared that I’ve had her too long, or that she won’t find any place safe to hide out the rest of the winter (I haven’t seen any other anoles for ages). Will she be okay? I’m also terrified she come back to the screen room or encounter a different cat!
I know I sound like a crazy person…I have fallen in love with her, but it’s so stressful keeping her away from our indoor cat! I cannot keep her as a pet.
Thank you once again for your wonderful advice.

01/09/18  07:29pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Sparksba   In reference to Message Id: 2321725

Okay, alert = good! It’s a bummer you can’t keep her, but I also know that it’s best for her as a wild-born Anole to be free. If you release her in your yard, make sure the temps are warm enough at night for her to survive. You may want to consider letting her go in a tree with thick foliage that would prevent predators from getting to her or near an area that has hiding places already available, like a garden shed, fence with wide planks for her to run around of, or even planks of wood propped up against a wall that she could take shelter in between. Let us know how it goes! And best of luck to her! If she takes a liking to that area, you’ll probably see her again.

01/09/18  09:16pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area