Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bluekush   AmbuBadger   Bluekush   Bluekush   Bluekush  

Member  Message

Bluekush
View Profile

My anole is stressed. I don’t know why plz help

So I purchased an anole a few weeks ago on my birthday Dec 4. After all the research I did I’m very upset the pet store even let me leave with him. I purchased the tank and anole at the same time and took about 3 hours to get home plus the set up of the tank. he seemed happy at first bright green occasionally would turn a light brown. After a few days he got a white strip on his back so we thaught he was female. Hes in a ten gallon with a , 60 watt uvb daytime light and a 25watt night light with a small heat pad for a 5 gallon on the right side where he sleeps on a fake plant. I keep the daytime light on the left side so he can bask on top of the cave. The temp ranges on the right side 24 27 degrees and the other side at the highest point is probably above 30 but he’s always trying to get as close as he can to the light. I’m constantly spraying the tank to keep it moist. He tends to get alittle green when I spray the tank. I made a couple mistakes along the way. He whent two days with a nocturnal red 24 light. I read the 24hour part and totally missed the nocturnal part. Also one day when I was cleaning the tank he jumped out like 3 ft drop and ran under the fridge where there are chemicals for bugs. He seems healthy in terms of his movement and eating he’s all over the place and eating but latley he’s only green when sleeping. Wich I’ve read means it’s environmental stress. Every day he’s getting darker. I think I seen his dew lap this morning wich makes me think he’s male now. And I think he shed a little piece of skin this morning he has like little black spots all over him. I’m trying to upload pics to this site but I can’t seem to get it to work. If you know alot about anoles I have some decent photos I could send via email. Also he’s always like flicking his tongue out if that means anything. If its moisture that’s the problem I plan on getting a small waterfall with a misting thing I’ll setup somehow

12/28/17  10:38am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bluekush   In reference to Message Id: 2321682

Okay, first off, you can email me at:

Second, his temps are too low and the tank is too small. Your anole would be best with at least a ten gallon tank, and you need a basking area with temps of 32.5~33 centigrade. It’s good that you’re spraying the tank often, but they can get by with humidity levels of 50-60%. Hold off on the waterfall addition until we find out exactly what is wrong with him. Being green at night and when you are spraying him is normal, anoles will turn greener when actively running around or hunting. If your anole has a dewlap, it could still be female; they have smaller dewlaps than the males.

Skin color: light brown to green is normal, but the black spots is a sign of stress. If there are black spots behind the eyes, that’s another indicator of stress. The two causes I see for this is either illness or the tank setup. If your anole is pretty relaxed, you can try removing one of the fake plants and letting him/her relax on it out of the tank and see if the color changes. I’ve seen some anoles become greener in a more open environment because their tank was too small. For illness, this is where that tongue flicking could come into play. It may be a sign of your anole trying to get more water, which you could check by spraying them when they’re licking and seeing if they lap up the drops. If it looks more like a respiratory issue, they will be perched with their mouth open to make breathing easier, and they will try to hold their head high. You may hear or feel a clicking noise as they breathe, it’s due to mucus in the lungs. To help him, minimize the sprayings so the tank isn’t damp and increase the temps in the tank.

12/29/17  04:14pm

Bluekush
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321689

Also the spots or more on his white strip and back and stomach

12/30/17  09:15am

Bluekush
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321689

Sorry I wrote a response 2ce but bin having a problem with my service. Thank you for your response. I forgot to mention that he is in a ten gallon. The heat pad is only half the tank though. It very hot in ther lowest point being 25 highest being well over 30 depending how close he climbs to the top. Can it be to hot? Today after laying on the top vine all day I found him hiding under some foliage. But thers many layers and spots in the rank would he just go somewhere else?
Also I found out yesterday I’m not supposed to be giving him distilled water. I have him on bottled now. I hope he gets better. He’s still eating and active. And green when he sleeps. I can’t see your email mine is Colin Jon Miller @ Gmail. Com if you still wanna see the pics and give me any input wich would be greatly appreciated. Also is 27-28 to hot for night time it’s the only time he’s green so I don’t really wanna change it

12/30/17  03:23pm

Bluekush
View Profile

Message To: Bluekush   In reference to Message Id: 2321693

Oh man he always has his head up maybe he can’t breathe I’m so worried about him

12/30/17  03:48pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area