Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lightstriker   DragonessJewel   AmbuBadger   Lightstriker  

Member  Message

Lightstriker
View Profile

Injured Lizard!!!

Earlier today, I found an injured brown anole outside. A huge chunk of skin is missing from his elbow and his tail has been broken off at a higher part than normal. I cleaned The wounds with warm water, put some Neosporin on them, and put him in one of my clean crab Terains with a dish of water. So, what should I do now? I know that they like to eat crickets and moths and ants, but I don’t know the basic requirements to take care of an anole, let alone an injured one. Any suggestions on taking care of him and his injuries?

11/24/17  03:24pm

DragonessJewel
View Profile

Message To: Lightstriker   In reference to Message Id: 2321573

Injured Lizard!!!h

Give him lots of plants real or fake and logs for climbing he should be in at least 10 gallons and be fed crickets half the size of his head daily. I’d recommend doing a little bit of research and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Yoy have to be committed to keeping an anoke and be willing to spend about $75 on the anole’s setup and keep him for life. Use a reptile carpet so he can’t ingest any substrate and give him 2 heat lamp one for day one for night the day one a UVB bulb 20 watt and the night want a black light bulb and the night as low of a wattage you can find. For his wounds soak him in warm water to kep it moist and keep it from getting infected, but keep it below the earholes. He might be a green anole... watch for a color change.

Feel free to ask and post more questions - I’m on constantly. Good luck!

DragonessJewel

11/24/17  07:11pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: DragonessJewel   In reference to Message Id: 2321574

Injured Lizard!!!h

Any luck rehabilitating that anole? It may not be necessary to soak the wound in warm water, especially if it stresses him/her out. For food, I’d say add mealworms in addition to what Dragoness mentioned. The freshly molted ones are pale tan to white in color, and won’t have hardened shells that would be difficult to digest. Also, your anole wouldn’t have to expend much energy to catch them. If you don’t have a UVB bulb, you could try positioning the enclosure in sunlight, but be careful not to get the anole overheat! This can easily happen with a glass tank, and your injured anole wouldn’t be able to escape the heat. Finally, make sure you pick up some vitamin and calcium powder (it’s mixed together) to supplement the anole’s diet- vitamin A is essential for a healthy immune system.

11/26/17  07:45pm

Lightstriker
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321579

Injured Lizard!!!h

No, unfortunately he didn’t make it through the night. Thanks for your help anyways!

12/14/17  06:17pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area