Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   Liz2441  

Member  Message

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Anole being lethargic

Hi, my anole has been just hanging out in this one area for a while, he sits there for an hour then moves an inch. He probably isn’t getting old because he just grew his last bit about 4 months ago, he’s done this before, maybe he’s just bored. I feel terrible for him being cooped up in a cage with nothing to do but stare at his mealworms. Is there anything I can do to make him happy?

Thanks- anole_lover07

11/20/17  12:21pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321553

Anole being lethargic

I’ve found that my anoles will do that before a shed or when they’re just starting to fall ill. How old is your anole? Assuming you’re meeting his lighting, heat, food, and nutritional needs, the next thing to look at is the size of his tank the the kinds of things you have inside it. I’ve found my anoles are happiest if their enclosure has lots of plants, real or fake, to allow them places to hide and plenty of basking spots so there is no fighting over it. One thing you can try, assuming you don’t have to worry about him escaping or being eaten by any cats/dogs in the house, is let him cruise on a plant under a table lamp. Perhaps the enclosure is too small, and having him out in the open could give him a little boost and pique his interest. Also vary his diet, offering him life foods to chase down. You can easily catch small butterflies sleeping in grassy areas at night, release one in his enclosure to see if it encourages him to hunt a little ore than simply fishing out a mealworm from a dish. Finally, what color is he, and is he producing poop & eating well?

11/20/17  02:24pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321554

Anole being lethargic

Well, i can see how he would stay in a plant. He is super picky, he stopped eating crickets about 2 months ago. Idk why, maybe it was because one almost bit him? He hasn’t been eating and has been a tan/green color. Where can I find plants that are safe for him? He has a fake plant in there. I’ve been thinking about getting a taller larger enclosure. Would I be able to turn my cage vertical? He’s an amazing pet but I’m always worried about him.

Thanks - Anole_lover07

11/22/17  05:12am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321562

Anole being lethargic

N general, ivy and pathos vine plants are safe and anoles generally love them. You can easily turn your cage vertically to see if he likes the adjustment, anoles are arboreal tree dwellers and prefer that sort of enclosure. Do you have a tank or a mesh enclosure? The fact that he isn’t eating is not good. Have you tried offering other foods, like mealworms or small flies and butterflies? How about fruit juices?

11/22/17  05:21pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321566

Anole being lethargic

I’ve tried fruit before, he just ignored it. I feel like I’m not showing him love. I’ve never held him. Is there any special way you hold your anoles .I feel terrible, I don’t want him to be lonely. I only have the ten gallon tank he’s in. If I turned his tank vertical where would I put the lamp? I’m always so scared of him running away. I love him very much, I just want to show him that I do. Thank you soooooo much for responding all the time I appreciate it.

Anole_lover07

11/23/17  05:05am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321567

Anole being lethargic

Anoles aren’t usually a “holding” type of lizard, like a Tegu or Beardie, but some are more tame than others and will gladly chill on your finger or fall asleep in your palm while enjoying your body heat. Try orienting his tank vertical and just mount the light to shine through the upper part of the screen (I’m assuming you have a glass tank with a screen lid). You can use a desk lamp and easily position it wherever you need it, just be sure that the UVB light isn’t going through the glass since it’ll filtered out the rays he needs. You can also spend time with him by talking to him and catching different bigs for him to chase and get exercise with. Good luck and keep us updated!

11/24/17  12:17pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321571

Anole being lethargic

Thank you, I put a fly in there yesterday and I don’t see it anymore so he must have ate i, this is good because he hasn’t aten for a week.

Thank you-Anole_lover07

11/25/17  09:55am

Liz2441
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321576

Anole being lethargic

I found that holding and talking to your lizard is good. I put temp to 80 and humidity at 99. He seems to be doing well. So far crickets, worms and wax worms don’t seem to be working. I’ll have to try flys next. Try force feeding him repta boost. It helps.

01/11/18  06:18am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area