Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DragonessJewel   AmbuBadger   DragonessJewel   AmbuBadger   DragonessJewel  

Member  Message

DragonessJewel
View Profile

Is my Green Anole Stressed? How can I tell and what should I do?

Hi all,
I can’t tell if my green anole is sick or stressed. She is a medium brown in the cage, and when I pull her out she will perch on my finger, slowly turning green with black spots behind her eyes, sometimes all over her body. She has been slow moving and strangely calm ever since I purchased her a month ago. When I pulled her out last night, she was a deep brown with black spots everywhere. It took her a long time to turn green again with the help of a warm washcloth. I suspect her partner, Gem is being mean to her. I was wondering what I can do for my green anoles to make their lives better.

11/18/17  02:02pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: DragonessJewel   In reference to Message Id: 2321542

Her turning green is good, but the black spots are not. Her unusually calm behavior may actually be lethargy, a state of extreme tiredness that can be caused by illness or malnutrition. Is your anole eating and drinking water? Keep a log of actual intake, do not just assume that a missing cricket or mealworm was eaten by her. Also keep track of her poop. An easy way to monitor all these things is to separate her from Gem and place her in her own tank. This way you can see if she perks up when he’s not around and, if she is sick, she doesn’t pass the illness to Gem. While Gem may not have attacked her, it is possible that he intimidated her into not feeding regularly in his presence, and as a result, she is lacking nutrients and energy. Another thing to keep an eye on is her heating situation. Anoles rely on warmth to aid in digestion and immune system health. A cold environment will allow food to remain in the gut too long, allowing for a buildup of bacteria that may cause an infection. Also be sure to provide vitamin powder to her as a lack of vitamin A can cause eye and skin infections.

So in summary: separate her, monitor her food and water intake as well as poop output. Avoid handling her too much and provide a warm basking area. Make sure she has proper lighting, including UVB. Check her for signs of dehydration, and if she’s refusing to drink, you can try gently immersing her midsection and tail in Luke warm water or Pedialyte in hopes that she absorbs some fluid through her vent. Do not submerge past the ear holes, and don’t force her into the water in such a way to cause panic. If she is drinking but not eating, mix some vitamin powder with the water and see if she will take it. You can also dab a drop of the mix on her nose, maybe she will lap it up.

11/19/17  06:19pm

DragonessJewel
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321549

Thanks so much for replying! She is eating food by hand and drinking water. She has been green ever since I posted. She has some black spots sometimes, and her poop is fine. I am reluctant to separate them because we are heading out of town for the week and I’d hate to last minute change the instructions for the petsitter. They have a UVB bulb and a night bulb on a timer, and their basking spot is pretty warm. I followed the care guide for their setup and care, so I am confident that is fine. After conducting some research, I don’t think she’s sick. She is sleeping on my keyboard right now and seems perfectly fine. I think her lethargy and calmness is just who she is. She loves being handled and I know it because she is always green when I handle her. Again, thank you for replying

11/19/17  07:21pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: DragonessJewel   In reference to Message Id: 2321550

Okay, she sounds like she’s doing pretty good then! Try to give vitamin and calcium powder to avoid issues in the future- I had to nurse one of my girls back to health when she got an eye infection from a lack of vitamin A, and while she has made a full recovery, we really were thinking we would have to put her down at one point! I’d hate for you guys to go through a similar ordeal. If you’ve never seen Gem act aggressive toward her, then they’re possibly safe together. Dewlapping and a little chasing is fine, but if he flattens his body and shows dark spots behind his eyes, that’s a sign that fighting will soon follow. Good luck on your trip!

11/19/17  10:53pm

DragonessJewel
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321551

Thank you!

11/20/17  07:47am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area