Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lizardlesbian   AmbuBadger   Lizardlesbian   AmbuBadger   Lizardlesbian   AmbuBadger   Lizardlesbian   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Lizardlesbian
View Profile

How to tell of any anole os stressed ??

I’ve heard alot of people saying holding your anole will stress him out but, for whatever reason my anole, Yoshi seems him calmest when he’s resting on my finger. Right now he’s sleeping on my index while I type this. I just want to make sure I’m not actually stressing him out our something. He is on the thin side because I recently adopted him and he was thin when I got him. I recently changed his uva bulb for a 15 watt uva that my friend gave me, but I noticed he stopped eating after so I was worried the UV was not reaching him .I now have a 50 watt uva bulb during the day and a 100 watt bulb on him at night. I spray him 3 times a day and I feed him crickets. Is there a way to tell if he is stressed? Mostly when I come home I find him sleeping under a faux leaf I got for him and he’s brown when basking . I don’t think he’d be cold given the temperature but if anyone can correct me and let me know what I can too that’s appreciated

11/09/17  01:20pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Lizardlesbian   In reference to Message Id: 2321511

Okay, first off... we need to make sure your bulb is UVB, not UVA! UVA doesn’t transmit enough of the waves that anoles need for calcium metabolization. Second, is the 100 watt heat bulb on a night? And is it shining light? Anoles need a dark area to sleep, and you shouldn’t have anything on at night. He may be hiding from the light under the leaf to shield himself from the bright light. As for being brown, it depends: my anoles may be light brown in their enclosure and green up when they’re cruising outside on my hand or chasing food. If you’re little guy is really dark brown with black spots behind the eyes, he may be stressed! How are you feeding him the crickets? If you’re just letting them loose in the cage without a bowl to contain them, missing crickets could come out at night and bite him while he is sleeping. Anoles have died this way. Also be sure to dust your crickets with calcium-enriched vitamin powder. The calcium and vitamin D helps their skeletal growth while the vitamin A keeps their skin and mucous membranes healthy to ward off infection. Finally, if your anole likes chilling on your hand, it may be a sign that the basking spot isn’t warm enough. If he’s skinny, he won’t retain body heat that well. If he is able to eat, try fattening him up with freshly-molted mealworms; they’re the ones that recently shed and are clear or white in color. If you buy mealworms and check the container frequently, you’ll certainly find one that has recently shed. Anoles love them!

11/09/17  07:58pm

Lizardlesbian
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321513

Ok thank you! Yah he has a ceramic heatlamp at night that emmits no light. What does a UVA do compared to a UVB? His basking spot is a combination of the 50 watt uva and the 100 watt ceramic, is that not warm enough?

11/11/17  07:02am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Lizardlesbian   In reference to Message Id: 2321515

Anoles don’t usually associate ceramic emitters with heat- they tend to try to find a sunny spot instead, but the ceramic emitter may be useful at night if you live someplace cold. I have a UVB bulb, you can recognize them from the blueish glow they emit. They don’t make enough heat for a basking spot, so I pair it with a conventional incandescent bulb (the old 75 watt bulbs that’ll burn you if you touch it) to create an area with temps in the low 90’s. Anoles need these temps especially after they eat because their digestive system requires that heat to help things move along. This is why anoles get sick when the temp drops- their bowel gets clogged up and they cannot pull nutrients from the food, and then their immune system starts to collapse and the bacteria in their gut overpopulate and causes an infection. UVB is a different wavelength of energy, and it’s required by anoles to metabolize the vitamin D in their diet to make their bones strong. How’s your little guy doing?

11/11/17  01:53pm

Lizardlesbian
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321517

He’s doing good! I’ll need to get a UVB bulb I think tho! During the night he likes to sleep wrapped in a leaf I have in his tank! I keep his ceramic bulb on all the time paired with the uva so I think he’s warm enough and I leave just the ceramic on at night

11/11/17  02:16pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Lizardlesbian   In reference to Message Id: 2321518

Okay, I’ve found Amazon to be one of the cheaper places to get bulbs if you can’t find them locally. I’m happy to hear your little guy is comfy and warm!

11/11/17  02:25pm

Lizardlesbian
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321519

It seems like my anole is ONLY stressed when he’s in his tank but I’m not sure why? His tank is warm and I recently got a UVB bulb and I think he’s eating his crickets because I placed 2 in there this morning and they are gone now? Because he is bright green while he is sleeping on my finger and yet brown (with black behind his eyes! Yikes) in his tank. It may be because he is skinny from I guess improper care from his last owners but he is eating his crickets?

11/12/17  12:28pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Lizardlesbian   In reference to Message Id: 2321521

Okay, how long has he been with you? Sometimes they need a week to adjust to a new setting. Also, are there plenty of fake leaves or live plants for him? I know you mentioned he has that fake leaf he seems to enjoy sleeping on when he’s not on your finger, but does his tank look like a forest or garden, or does it just seem to be a bare tank with some fake plants here & there? In one of my tanks, for example, I have a large piece of driftwood in the middle with a plastic soap dish suction-cupped to the rear glass. There’s a pretty healthy pathos vine plant and the vines go around the whole inside of the tank, so there’s plenty of places to hide as well as lap water from. The vines also rest on the soap dish (which I bought brand-new, so there’s no soap residue on it), giving the anoles a means of climbing up to perch on the dish a little closer to my lights. There’s several pine cones around the bottom and on the dish too, and they’re opened up pretty good so the anoles can crawl around between the seeds easily.

I have a long tube type UVB bulb and a regular incandescent bulb for heat on top of the screen lid, and the four hatchlings in there have plenty of perches to bask from. As they get older, I’ll release them outside to the garden or my larger tank, but basically my enclosure is well-lit and has plenty of green. The guys are light brown and they get green when they’re active, especially at feeding time. They don’t have black spots behind the eyes, but they certainly turn brighter green when I bring them out for tank cleaning every week. I also have a male and female pair who live on two large fake orchids in my bathroom. They have heat and UVB, and there’s no screen or cage around them. They’re usually green, but also turn shades of brown throughout the day. I never see them with dark brown skin and black eye spots, except when the female was very sick with a bad eye infection. She has since recovered fully. In short, you’re anole might be brown due to the stress of being in a new place or not having enough plants to replicate a more natural environment. The tank he’s in could also be too small, making him feel cramped (which is why he seems happier outside,on your finger). The fact he appears to be eating is good, but don’t leave crickets in there if he doesn’t eat them right away unless they’re in a bowl they won’t escape from. Also, please be sure to get some vitamin powder to dust the crickets with. Good luck!

11/12/17  09:53pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area