Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Abreul   AmbuBadger   Abreul   AmbuBadger   Abreul   Abreul   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Abreul
View Profile

Injured/Sick Lizard

Yesterday, I went to the pet store to get crickets for my anoles and was looking at the lizards since there was a long line at the counter. When I looked into the anole vivarium, I noticed that there was a tiny little green anole with what I can describe best as a dead leg. The foot is completely shriveled and above that is black until the elbow. At first I thought he was dead because he was limply lying on a leaf and was horribly emaciated. I alerted one of the associates and they turned him this way and that, mentioning briefly that ’one had gotten out the other day’, and then started to take him to the back. I asked her if I could take him and she let me. Now, a day later, I have him isolated from the other anoles in another vivarium. He drags the leg along when he moves, and hasn’t eaten or had a drink yet. But he’s the sweetest baby anole ever. He curls up with me in a blanket even when he has a nice basking lamp to go to and likes when I rub his chin. Yeah, he might be so sweet because he’s sick, but even so, I’ve bonded quickly with the little guy. The vet tech I spoke to today--I couldn’t see the vet--told me she was unsure what to do and would probably just clip off the leg, but she told me she’s never worked with lizards. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with sick or injured lizards, and knows what to do? This little guy has really grown on me and I hate to see him suffer.

10/26/17  05:35pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321412

Injured/Sick Lizard

First thing first, I don’t mean to be a downer... but be prepared for the little guy not to make it. Now with that said, let’s get to work on saving the little guy: the thing he needs right now is warmth, rest, and water. It’s nice to be able to hold an anole and watch him close his eyes and fall asleep on your finger, but when they’re sick, the human contact should be kept to a minimum. Allow him to rest in the warmth of his isolation tank, and provide lots of cover so he won’t feel exposed and vulnerable. Remember: he doesn’t know he’s in a safe place, so you need to do a little more to convince him he’s not in danger. Mist the tank about three times a day and keep an eye out for when he starts lapping up the water. If you have to leave him for more than twelve hours, you can try filling a jar with clean water and place it above his tank. Hang a piece of yarn in it and lead it down toward a branch or leaf that’ll collect a little water. The yarn will soak up the water and gravity will carry it down to him. Make sure the yarn is clean, something with detergent or dirt on it could make him sick.

The arm: use a pair of very sharp scissors and cut the arm off at the black. That area should be dead and relatively painless for him. Dab a thin coat of antibiotic ointment over the stump daily to prevent infection. Many anoles do fine with just three legs. Another important thing to do is provide vitamin powder with his diet. Vitamin A helps anoles strengthen their immune system, which would be crucial for your little guy. He may be too weak and dehydrated to eat now (digestion requires fluids, which is why you shouldn’t feed a dehydrated anole too much), so you can try mixing some of the powder with soft fruit or even water and placing it on his lips when he’s drinking. Never try to force feed anoles by prying their mouth open! Doing so could break the skin and allow for an infection to develop. Instead, dab some of the vitamin mixture on his nose— he’ll lick it to clean himself and ingest the nutrients that way. If you want, see if he gets stronger first before attempting removal of the dead arm. Also, it usually takes an anole 3-7 days to get used to a new environment before feeling comfortable enough to feed. Keep us posted and feel free to ask us anything!

10/26/17  11:17pm

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321414

Injured/Sick Lizard

Thanks so much for the response! The little guy has been drinking, but only from a little bowl. For some reason, he won’t go to the condensation on the walls of his tank, so he’s really thirsty when I offer the bowl. To ease any worry you may have, I make sure everything is really clean. I clean his tank daily and switch out washclothes--which for some reason, he really REALLY loves to sleep in. I want to prevent any sort of infection, and he doesn’t seem bothered at all by the cleanings. Usually I’ll have him in his blanket on a table or something while I do it and he just peeks out and watches. So far, he has not eaten anything, but I don’t force it. I spoke with one of my professors and she said that tomorrow she could try and help me with his leg. She has experience with animal physiology and at this point, the anole is probably only going to get weaker if it doesn’t come off. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes!

10/29/17  06:54am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321421

Injured/Sick Lizard

How’s the little guy doing? My girl used to warm up socks for some of our anoles and tuck them in it before bed! If you have calcium & vitamin powder, try mixing a little in with his water so he can get some nutrients on board. Did you get help removing the limb?

10/31/17  12:34am

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321431

Injured/Sick Lizard

I did get help removing the limb. It had to be amputated at the shoulder and there was very minimal bleeding, but a day later and he’s really not looking good. I’m hoping for the best. I try and put neosporin on it often and make sure his area is clean at all times. He won’t drink yet and he won’t open his eyes. :( He’s just deteriorated overnight but at least he made it through the night. I’m keeping him warm and rested though, so we’ll see what happens.

10/31/17  04:28am

Abreul
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321432

Injured/Sick Lizard

Hey there. Unfortunately, when I came back from classes, I discovered that my little guy had passed away. Thank you for the advice and help you provided. At least he is no longer suffering. :’(

10/31/17  12:46pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Abreul   In reference to Message Id: 2321434

Injured/Sick Lizard

I’m sorry to hear about that... but it is nice to know he passed away in a home he was loved and cared for in until the very end.

10/31/17  01:09pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area